• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Careers that combine marketing and engineering/computer science

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Switters12
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm interested in both marketing (creativity, communication, persuasion) and engineering/computer science (theory and its application to develop new technologies).

What are some careers that combine the two?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I'm interested in both marketing (creativity, communication, persuasion) and engineering/computer science (theory and its application to develop new technologies).

Sales Representatives, Manufacturer's Representatives, Field Application Engineers, Product Marketing Managers (the technical Marketing folks at companies).

berkeman
Mentor
I just ran across this -- it's more for a mechanical engineering position, but it may help you get an idea...

• Product Manager * new position, experience in distribution, OEM’s, working with Sales, inventory management, industrial, suppliers, sourcing. Must have business plan (implementation) and market study exposure. Abrasives, tooling or machining background a plus. BS and/or MBA also a plus. ; 10+ years experience. Salary - $95+ ; 35% travel
• Director of Product Management: all of the above plus experience in a $50 million/year business environment along with managing others. 15 years+ experience is necessary. Salary $130+

Web programming, data mining (Microsoft and Google have departments devoted to tailoring search engines to clients needs), a good number of management positions.

Any sort of product management or sales for a software company would fit. They have equivalent positions to what berkeman posted at companies like Oracle and Microsoft etc.