Would I be better suited to engineering or computer science?

In summary, the ideal person to excel in a career in engineering would be someone who loves science, mathematics, and technology. They enjoy understanding how things work and have a strong interest in topics like computer hardware and software. They may also have a fascination with computer science and its various fields, but are not sure if they want to program all day long. They may also have an interest in research and enjoy working with math and theory. Ultimately, they may find a good fit in computer engineering, which combines elements of both engineering and computer science.
clint222
What kind of people are well suited to be engineers? Who would excel and enjoy a career in engineering? Could you describe the ideal person to be an engineer?

More then anything I love science and mathematics. I am very interested in technology, especially computer hardware and software. I love understanding how things work. I enjoy watching the discovery channel. I like learning about how power plants, airplanes, computers, software, airports, and other things work. Do I sound like someone suited to engineering? I haven't been interested in engineering before the start of high school. I didn't actually know about the career then. I never had previously thought of myself doing engineering before, but I am considering it now.

I am having difficulty choosing between engineering and computer science. I really am fasinated by certain things in computer science like AI, machine learning, theory of computation, etc. However, I am not so interested in programming all day, I think. I'm not sure. I like programming, but I don't know if I'd like doing it all day long. Sadly most CS grads just become developers, to do what I want to do in CS could only be done in a research career, which I am interested in as well.

I also like the idea of doing math everyday in my career, which makes me think engineering would be better for me. Although I am also quite interested in all of that theory with CS. But I am also interested in hardware and electronics and would likely enjoy doing electrical or computer engineering.

What do you think I should do? Any advice? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not look up computer engineering?

1. What is the difference between engineering and computer science?

Engineering is a broad field that involves the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain physical structures, machines, systems, and processes. Computer science, on the other hand, is a discipline that focuses on the study of computers and computational systems, including their theory, design, development, and application.

2. Which field has better job prospects, engineering or computer science?

Both engineering and computer science are in high demand and offer excellent job prospects. It ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Engineering jobs tend to be more hands-on and require a strong understanding of math and science, while computer science jobs involve a lot of problem-solving and programming skills.

3. Is it possible to study both engineering and computer science?

Yes, it is possible to study both engineering and computer science. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that combine elements of both fields, such as computer engineering or mechatronics. These programs allow students to gain a diverse skill set and increase their job opportunities.

4. What skills do I need for a career in engineering or computer science?

For a career in engineering, you will need strong analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills. You should also have a solid understanding of physics and be able to work well in a team. In computer science, you will need to be proficient in programming languages, have good problem-solving abilities, and be able to think critically and logically.

5. Which field offers better salary potential, engineering or computer science?

Both engineering and computer science offer high-paying job opportunities. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for engineers is $91,010, while computer and information technology occupations have a median annual wage of $88,240. The salary potential ultimately depends on your specific job title, location, and experience in the field.