1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Would I be better suited to engineering or computer science?

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1
    What kind of people are well suited to be engineers? Who would excel and enjoy a career in engineering? Could you describe the ideal person to be an engineer?

More then anything I love science and mathematics. I am very interested in technology, especially computer hardware and software. I love understanding how things work. I enjoy watching the discovery channel. I like learning about how power plants, airplanes, computers, software, airports, and other things work. Do I sound like someone suited to engineering? I haven't been interested in engineering before the start of high school. I didn't actually know about the career then. I never had previously thought of myself doing engineering before, but I am considering it now.

I am having difficulty choosing between engineering and computer science. I really am fasinated by certain things in computer science like AI, machine learning, theory of computation, etc. However, I am not so interested in programming all day, I think. I'm not sure. I like programming, but I don't know if I'd like doing it all day long. Sadly most CS grads just become developers, to do what I want to do in CS could only be done in a research career, which I am interested in as well.

I also like the idea of doing math everyday in my career, which makes me think engineering would be better for me. Although I am also quite interested in all of that theory with CS. But I am also interested in hardware and electronics and would likely enjoy doing electrical or computer engineering.

What do you think I should do? Any advice? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2010 #2
    Why not look up computer engineering?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook