1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnot engine with a magnetic auxiliary system

1. Jun 29, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like some assistance to solve the following problem.
    A magnetic system satisfies Curie's law ##M=nDB/T##, has a specific heat capacity at constant magnetization ##C_M=\text{constant}##. It is used in a Carnot engine that operates between temperatures ##T_h## and ##T_c## (##T_c<T_h##).
    M is the magnetization and B is the external magnetic field.
    1)Sketch a qualitative (B,M) diagram of a complete cycle.
    2)Calculate the work done by the engine after 1 cycle.
    3)Calculate the efficiency of the engine.

2. Relevant equations
    ##C_M=\frac{T}{n} \left ( \frac{\partial S}{\partial T} \right ) _{M,n}=\left ( \frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right ) _{M,n}## (1)

3. The attempt at a solution
    1)I've done the sketch, I don't think there's anything particular about it.
    2)This is where I'm stuck.
    From equation (1) I've determined that ##S(T,M,n)=C_Mn \ln T+f(M,n)## and that ##U(T,M,n)=C_MT+g(M,n)##. Not sure this can help.
    I know that the work done is the area enclosed by the sketch in the B-M diagram, namely ##W=\oint B dM##.
    I know that in a Carnot cycle there are 2 adiabatic and 2 isothermal processes. Also the 1st law of Thermodynamics states that ##\Delta U =Q+W## so after a cycle ##\Delta U=0## and so ##Q=-W##. In other words the heat toward the auxiliary system is equal to the work done BY the system. And since there are 2 adiabatic processes (no heat is being absorbed by the system), I get that the work done after 1 cycle is equal to the heat absorbed by the system during the 2 isothermal processes.
    Now if I think of M as a function of B, T and n and assuming that n is constant for the auxiliary system then ##dM=\frac{nDdB}{T}-\frac{nDBdT}{T^2}##. Note that for the 2 isotherms, ##dM=\frac{nDdB}{T}##.
    I also know that ##dW=BdM## and so for the isotherms, ##dW=\frac{nDBdB}{T}##. I know that there's 1 isotherm at a temperature of ##T_h## and the other at a temperature of ##T_c##. My problem is that I don't know what are the limits of the integral if I integrate this expression. So I can't really get W via this expression.
    I don't really know how to proceed further.
    Any tip is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let ##\small (M_1, B_1)##, ##\small (M_2, B_2)##, ##\small (M_3, B_3)##, and ##\small (M_4, B_4)## be the states on the ##\small B##-##\small M## diagram corresponding to the "corners" of the Carnot cycle. 1→2 is isothermal at ##T_h##, 2→3 is adiabatic (reducing ##\small T## to ##\small T_c##), etc.

So, for the leg 1→2, your limits of integration for ##\small W=-\int B dM## will be from ##\small M_1## to ##\small M_2##, etc.

You want to get expressions for the total work done in the cycle, and for the heat added during the cycle. These expressions will be in terms of the ##\small M_i##'s, the hot and cold temperatures, and the constants ##\small n, D, C_M##.

4. Jun 30, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh I see, thanks.
    I didn't know I could assume ##M_i##'s to be known.
    Following what I had done I reach that ##W=\frac{1}{2nD}[T_h(M_1^2-M_2^2)-T_c(M_3^2-M_4^2)]## (work done ON the system so to answer the question I'd have to set -W to get the work done BY the system). If that's the correct answer then I guess I'm done for part 2). If it's wrong I'm going to post what I did to reach this.

5. Jun 30, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's close to what I get, except for signs. The work done by the system is ##\small -\int{BdM}## [Edited to replace the symbol H by B ]. So, I think your first term ##\small \frac{1}{2nD}T_h(M_1^2-M_2^2)## represents the positive work done by the system as ##\small M_1## is reduced isothermally to ##\small M_2## (with ##\small M_2 < M_1##). The work done by the system in going from 3 to 4 (with ##\small M_4 > M_3##) should be negative.

The signs are confusing because you need to reduce M to get positive work done by the system (which is opposite to P-V work where V should be increased to get positive work done by the system).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  6. Jun 30, 2013 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

So basically I've got the signs wrong?
    I know that the total work done BY the system should be positive. My answer to the question would be ##W'=-W=\frac{1}{2nD}[T_h(M_2^2-M_1^2)-T_c(M_4^2-M_3^2)]##. I believe that it's positive but I'm not 100% sure.

7. Jun 30, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with your second term (which yields negative work done by the system in going from 3 to 4), but I don't agree with the sign of your first term (which would also give negative work in going from 1 to 2). As I see it, ##\small M_2 < M_1## and ##\small M_4 > M_3##.

Work done by the system in going isothermally from a to b is ##\small W = -\int_a^b{BdM} = -\frac{T}{2nD}(M_b^2-M_a^2)##.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  8. Jun 30, 2013 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

You are right TSny, I understand my error now. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted