Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Casimir effect - Does it fit? Or NOT?

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    I just heard about the Casimir effect:

Is this for real? Or is it just speculation?
    If it's real, then how in the name of science does it fit into the four fundamental forces?!

I think it's just a fancy name for friction. I think friction is an example of electromagnetic force, same
    as the pressure of standing on the floor. But I could be wrong! The pressure of standing on the floor could be a result of gravity! So which is it? EM or Gravity ? Or both?! We can't even talk about the Casimir effect (if it even exists) until we can clear up something as simple as standing on the floor. :!!)
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Casimir effect is very real and there have been numerious experiments attesting the existence of that macroscopic force. That's not something new, it can be interesting, but it's a just a mere effect of EM field quantization in various geometries. As for the 4 forces, well they go hand in hand, since the theory of 4 forces is based on (gauge) field quantization which also explains the existence of the Casimir force.
  4. Aug 7, 2007 #3

Gold Member

Here is page by Ulf Leonhardt explaining how manipulating the Casimir effect may allow advances in the reduction of friction in nano-machines.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #4
    the wiki page must be in error, there is no way that this could be true:

1 atm over a seperation as large as 100 angstoms? no way
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?