Cassini's Grand Finale - Fascinating New Insight

• Thread starter Stavros Kiri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    probe saturn
  • Featured
In summary, Cassini's final mission begins with its first dive between Saturn and its rings on April 26. Cassini will make 22 dives between the planet and its rings before plunging into Saturn's atmosphere on September 15.
Stavros Kiri
I thought this is interesting (and new)!

Any thoughts or insights?
E.g. I liked the "... as Cassini becomes part of the planet itself ..." on 3' 12'' ...

Likes ISamson, MarkFL, 1oldman2 and 6 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Stavros Kiri said:
E.g. I liked the "... as Cassini becomes part of the planet itself ..." on 3' 12'' ...

Indeed. That was probably my favorite part too. It actually looked realistic.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Drakkith said:
It actually looked realistic.
I guess we'll find out on September 15 [2017], or so ...

Also, of course, on April 26, a few days from now, Cassini's last mission begins (with its little remaining fuel), i.e. diving (several times) between Saturn and its rings ...
That ought to give us some cool pictures ... and knowledge.
I am looking forward to that! ...

Likes Comeback City
It should be an amazing view. I almost wish I was there!

Likes Stavros Kiri and Comeback City
Check out today's [April 26, 2017] google's doodle! (devoted to Cassini! ...)

Also, a few days ago, I also found this interesting video about reviewing Cassini and its mission (it seems overall scientifically valid):

What I liked most about it is the explanation why Cassini has to go on Saturn itself, rather than on Titan or Enceladus (the most interesting of its moons). Check it out on 5' and forth.

Just a minor correction [on the video] (which I also noted in the comments section):

"1st dive begins April 26 not 22. On the 22nd passed by Titan for the last time. Today April 26 reaches near the rings for the first dive."

Likes Drakkith
NASA's Cassini spacecraft re-established contact with ground controllers shortly before 3 a.m. ET after passing through the gap between Saturn and the planet's rings. NASA says the probe is now beaming back data gathered during the "dive."

Cassini was out of contact as it began its journey into the gap because the spacecraft 's dish antenna was used as a shield to protect it from possible damage from ring particles. The antenna had been oriented away from Earth. Cassini was out of contact for about 22 hours.

In a NASA statement, the project manager said all had gone as hoped:

" 'No spacecraft has ever been this close to Saturn before. We could only rely on predictions, based on our experience with Saturn's other rings, of what we thought this gap between the rings and Saturn would be like,' said Cassini Project Manager Earl Maize of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. 'I am delighted to report that Cassini shot through the gap just as we planned and has come out the other side in excellent shape.' "

Cassini's Grand Finale, as it weaves its way between Saturn and its rings in a series of 22 dives that will culminate in what the agency describes as "a science-rich plunge into Saturn's atmosphere on Sept. 15."

Cassini was launched in 1997; its mission is slated to end one month before the 20-year mark.

NASA said Cassini came within about 1,900 miles of Saturn's cloud tops and about 200 miles from the innermost edge of Saturn's rings. Project scientists believe ring particles in the gap are no bigger than smoke particles and were confident they would not pose a threat to the spacecraft .

Likes Stavros Kiri and berkeman
Zahid Hasan said:
Cassini's Grand Finale, as it weaves its way between Saturn and its rings in a series of 22 dives that will culminate in what the agency describes as "a science-rich plunge into Saturn's atmosphere on Sept. 15."
Cool graphic...

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/system/content_pages/main_images/157_Cassini_Grand_Finale_orbits.jpg
157_Cassini_Grand_Finale_orbits.jpg

Likes stoomart
Are the blue arches how far the probe will make the many passes? They are very far out or is the distance relative?

Zahid Hasan said:
Are the blue arches how far the probe will make the many passes? They are very far out or is the distance relative?
They look like the actual orbit paths to me. See how each one now is diving through the gap between Saturn and its innermost ring?

That's what I thought, but if those passes are so far away from Saturn how can the probe crash into the planet? I am guessing on the last pass it doesn't come out of the gravity field.

Zahid Hasan said:
I am guessing on the last pass it doesn't come out of the gravity field.
Yep. Spash! :smile:

Likes Grands
I am imagining how awesome (per say) it would be to be inside that probe watching the fall, of course it will be a one way trip for anyone.

I hope they record the fall pointing the camera toward the planet. It will be scary but amazing to see it.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Zahid Hasan said:
I hope they record the fall pointing the camera toward the planet. It will be scary but amazing to see it.
I think it's likely that that will do that since there will be no longer be a motivation to protect instruments aboard the craft.
It will be the only chance to look at the planet's cloud tops close up for quite a while.
I suppose the main consideration though will be to keep the transmitter sending data for as long as possible.

Likes Zahid Hasan
rootone said:
I think it's likely that that will do that since there will be no longer be a motivation to protect instruments aboard the craft.
It will be the only chance to look at the planet's cloud tops close up for quite a while.
I suppose the main consideration though will be to keep the transmitter sending data for as long as possible.

I mean exactly what you said in the last sentence... even if not live but allow the general public to view the "fall" in first person view.

First dive √

Next one May 2

Likes Drakkith
Here is a more complete and quick-view compilation of the 1st dive stunning images:

NASA's Cassini site:
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/

Next dive in 2 days, 18 hrs, 45min from now.

Note: the video (although not directly by the NASA channel - but see description) shows compilation of the first 116 low-res raw images released by NASA to the public on the above website a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
Here is also the edited version (of the 1st dive images) released yesterday (May 3) by NASA JPL :

Likes fresh_42 and OmCheeto
Update: now 9th orbit (of 22) [ring-crossing] of Cassini's Grand Finale journey, coming up in about 3 days 18 hrs (right now June 13, 2017, 9:12am US ET).

Here is a nice video from the 2nd dive (May 2, 2017):

Likes Drakkith, OmCheeto and 1oldman2
Getting there! Don't forget the Grand finale, a few days from now, Sept 15 [2017].
Here is a nice review video:

Likes 1oldman2, rootone, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Stavros Kiri said:
Don't forget the Grand finale, a few days from now, Sept 15 [2017]
The time has come; the time is now (tomorrow 4:55 a.m. PDT (7:55 a.m. EDT and 11:55 GMT)). [PDT=Pacific Daylight Time, EDT=Eastern Daylight Time, GMT = UTC ≅ London winter time]
Here is a nice informative article (from/posted yesterday 13 Sept., 2017), from space.com:
The End Is Nigh for Cassini: Saturn Probe Enters Final 48 Hours
(https://www.space.com/38151-cassini-nears-crash-into-saturn.html)

See also:
Cassini's Saturn Crash 2017: How to Watch Its 'Grand Finale'
Or
https://www.space.com/38010-cassini- spacecraft -saturn-grand-finale.html
(Found also in the first article ... and more there ...).

Finally, here is also a prep video:

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith and 1oldman2
Stavros Kiri said:
Finally, here is also a prep video:
Edited with a video from a more reliable channel. The previous video was still valid and ok (anyone interested I can quote ...), but the new one seems more serious.

Also here is the bottomline quote from the first article cited above:
"Cassini will begin its descent through the atmosphere at 4:55 a.m. PDT (7:55 a.m. and EDT 1155 GMT). The probe is expected to transmit data about the planet's atmosphere for about 1 to 2 minutes and is expected to be completely destroyed about 1 minute later."

Last edited:
Here is how to watch live:

Note: read also the description for more links; there will also be live chat there tomorrow (but certainly not our PF-type of audience there! ...).

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2 and berkeman
It's on NASA TV now.

Likes davenn, Drakkith and Stavros Kiri
Now!

Editing after it's over: went exactly as planned. The Cassini signal got lost exactly on schedule, as planned. The data transmitted back to Earth yet remains to be analysed and presented! ...
Looking forward to that!

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
See edit on previous post for result. Impressions and Comments? Insights? ...

Stavros Kiri said:
Looking forward to that!
:thumbup:

Likes Stavros Kiri
Is there a link for the final video from the craft during the plunge? Sorry if I've missed an obvious link.

berkeman said:
Is there a link for the final video from the craft during the plunge? Sorry if I've missed an obvious link.
I believe all data was dedicated to science observations, there wasn't enough bandwidth to live stream the reentry and the last images were transmitted on the 14th. ((would have been a hell of a show to watch though):woot:

Likes Stavros Kiri
Ah, thanks. Makes sense. :smile:

Likes 1oldman2
Cassini may have become one with a gas giant but here is a trailer of sorts for possible upcoming attractions (Ice Giants are going to be in the spotlight after Juno, with the exception of certain well known moons and a rocky planet or two). Let's see now... launch approximately 2030, 13 year cruise... I doubt I'll be in the audience for that show. :wink:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/icegiants/mission_study/Full-Report.pdf

Likes OmCheeto
Here is some of the best I found so far:
1. End of mission:

2. Last look at Saturn:

3. See Where the Cassini Spacecraft Crashed into Saturn (Photos)
(https://www.space.com/38170-cassini- spacecraft -saturn-crash-site-photos.html)
4. In Photos: Cassini Mission Ends with Epic Dive into Saturn
(https://www.space.com/38168-cassini-grand-finale-saturn-final-photos.html?utm_source=notification)

Also regarding

berkeman said:
I agree with @1oldman2 . See/read e.g. #3. :

"...
The last photos NASA's Cassini spacecraft ever took were of its own grave.
Cassini burned up like a meteor in Saturn's atmosphere early this morning (Sept. 15), ending its historic 13-year study of the ringed-planet system with a dramatic final plunge.

And you can see exactly where Cassini went in, thanks to a series of images the probe took during its approach to the gas giant yesterday afternoon (Sept. 14). [In Photos: Cassini's Last Views of Saturn at Mission's End]

cGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3MC8wMzIvaTAyL2Nhc3NpbmktaW1wYWN0LXNpdGUtaXIuanBnPzE1MDU0OTQwMDE=.jpg

Why are there no images from today, during the plunge itself? The mission team prioritized other information, such as measurements of Saturn's atmospheric composition. And the data-transmission rate to Earth was low — so low that images would have hogged too much bandwidth, mission team members said."

Likes 1oldman2 and Drakkith
<h2>1. What is Cassini's Grand Finale?</h2><p>Cassini's Grand Finale refers to the final phase of NASA's Cassini spacecraft's mission, which involved a series of daring dives through the gap between Saturn and its rings. This phase began in April 2017 and ended in September 2017, when the spacecraft was intentionally plunged into Saturn's atmosphere to prevent any potential contamination of its moons.</p><h2>2. What were some of the key objectives of the Grand Finale?</h2><p>The Grand Finale aimed to provide scientists with a closer look at Saturn's rings and atmosphere, as well as its moons, than ever before. The spacecraft also collected valuable data on the planet's magnetic field and its interactions with the rings. Additionally, the Grand Finale allowed for the study of Saturn's atmosphere and its composition in unprecedented detail.</p><h2>3. What were some of the most fascinating discoveries made during the Grand Finale?</h2><p>One of the most exciting discoveries from the Grand Finale was the detection of complex organic molecules in the plumes of Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. This finding has implications for the potential habitability of this moon. The Grand Finale also provided evidence for the existence of a global ocean on Enceladus, and revealed new insights into the structure and dynamics of Saturn's rings.</p><h2>4. How did the Grand Finale impact our understanding of Saturn and its moons?</h2><p>The Grand Finale greatly expanded our knowledge of Saturn and its moons. The close-up views of the rings and moons allowed for detailed studies of their composition, structure, and dynamics. The data collected during the Grand Finale will continue to be analyzed for years to come, providing scientists with a deeper understanding of this fascinating planet and its moons.</p><h2>5. What were some of the challenges faced during the Grand Finale?</h2><p>The Grand Finale was a daring and complex mission, with many challenges to overcome. The spacecraft had to navigate through the narrow gap between Saturn and its rings, which required precise calculations and adjustments to avoid potential collisions. The intense radiation near Saturn also posed a risk to the spacecraft's instruments, requiring careful planning and shielding. Additionally, the Grand Finale required precise timing and coordination to ensure that the spacecraft collected the desired data during each dive.</p>

1. What is Cassini's Grand Finale?

Cassini's Grand Finale refers to the final phase of NASA's Cassini spacecraft's mission, which involved a series of daring dives through the gap between Saturn and its rings. This phase began in April 2017 and ended in September 2017, when the spacecraft was intentionally plunged into Saturn's atmosphere to prevent any potential contamination of its moons.

2. What were some of the key objectives of the Grand Finale?

The Grand Finale aimed to provide scientists with a closer look at Saturn's rings and atmosphere, as well as its moons, than ever before. The spacecraft also collected valuable data on the planet's magnetic field and its interactions with the rings. Additionally, the Grand Finale allowed for the study of Saturn's atmosphere and its composition in unprecedented detail.

3. What were some of the most fascinating discoveries made during the Grand Finale?

One of the most exciting discoveries from the Grand Finale was the detection of complex organic molecules in the plumes of Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. This finding has implications for the potential habitability of this moon. The Grand Finale also provided evidence for the existence of a global ocean on Enceladus, and revealed new insights into the structure and dynamics of Saturn's rings.

4. How did the Grand Finale impact our understanding of Saturn and its moons?

The Grand Finale greatly expanded our knowledge of Saturn and its moons. The close-up views of the rings and moons allowed for detailed studies of their composition, structure, and dynamics. The data collected during the Grand Finale will continue to be analyzed for years to come, providing scientists with a deeper understanding of this fascinating planet and its moons.

5. What were some of the challenges faced during the Grand Finale?

The Grand Finale was a daring and complex mission, with many challenges to overcome. The spacecraft had to navigate through the narrow gap between Saturn and its rings, which required precise calculations and adjustments to avoid potential collisions. The intense radiation near Saturn also posed a risk to the spacecraft's instruments, requiring careful planning and shielding. Additionally, the Grand Finale required precise timing and coordination to ensure that the spacecraft collected the desired data during each dive.