Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cassini's Grand Finale

1. Apr 7, 2017 #1
    I thought this is interesting (and new)!

Any thoughts or insights?
    E.g. I liked the "... as Cassini becomes part of the planet itself ..." on 3' 12'' ...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Indeed. That was probably my favorite part too. It actually looked realistic.

4. Apr 7, 2017 #3
    I guess we'll find out on September 15 [2017], or so ...

5. Apr 11, 2017 #4
    Also, of course, on April 26, a few days from now, Cassini's last mission begins (with its little remaining fuel), i.e. diving (several times) between Saturn and its rings ...
    That ought to give us some cool pictures ... and knowledge.
    I am looking forward to that! ...

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5

Drakkith

It should be an amazing view. I almost wish I was there!

7. Apr 26, 2017 #6
    Check out today's [April 26, 2017] google's doodle! (devoted to Cassini! ...)

Also, a few days ago, I also found this interesting video about reviewing Cassini and its mission (it seems overall scientifically valid):

What I liked most about it is the explanation why Cassini has to go on Saturn itself, rather than on Titan or Enceladus (the most interesting of its moons). Check it out on 5' and forth.

Just a minor correction [on the video] (which I also noted in the comments section):

"1st dive begins April 26 not 22. On the 22nd passed by Titan for the last time. Today April 26 reaches near the rings for the first dive."

8. Apr 27, 2017 #7
    First dive √

Next one May 2

9. Apr 29, 2017 #8
    Here is a more complete and quick-view compilation of the 1st dive stunning images:

NASA's Cassini site:
    https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/

Next dive in 2 days, 18 hrs, 45min from now.

Note: the video (although not directly by the NASA channel - but see description) shows compilation of the first 116 low-res raw images released by NASA to the public on the above website a couple of days ago.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  10. Apr 29, 2017 #9

fresh_42

11. May 4, 2017 #10
    Here is also the edited version (of the 1st dive images) released yesterday (May 3) by NASA JPL :

12. Jun 13, 2017 #11
    Update: now 9th orbit (of 22) [ring-crossing] of Cassini's Grand Finale journey, coming up in about 3 days 18 hrs (right now June 13, 2017, 9:12am US ET).

Here is a nice video from the 2nd dive (May 2, 2017):

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted