Catabolism exergonic yet breaking a bond is endothermic?

In summary, the concepts of catabolic reactions in biology and breaking bonds in chemistry may seem counter-intuitive, but they are actually different and related by a formula. This is because in biology, breaking something down typically involves forming new bonds that release a lot of energy, while in chemistry, breaking bonds is typically endothermic. This is also why anabolism in biology is endergonic, yet forming bonds in chemistry is exothermic.
ngu9997
Hi - really basic question here, but I was wondering. In biology it's said that catabolic reactions which break something down release energy, making such exergonic. In chemistry it is said that breaking bonds is endo-thermic. This seems counter-intuitive to me? But, I realize it's because the two concepts are different yet related by a formula? Could someone explain to me why it's not actually counter-intuitive and where my line of reasoning is wrong?Also I guess this question would also work talking about why anabolism is endergonic, yet forming bonds is exothermic.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
In chemistry you rarely break a bond without forming new ones. "Breaking something down" in biology usually means forming more water and CO2, or other HO and CO bonds, and forming these tends to release a lot of energy compared to CC, CH and OO bonds (e. g. hydrocarbons and oxygen).

1. What is catabolism?

Catabolism is the process by which complex molecules are broken down into smaller, simpler molecules. It is a part of metabolism, which is the sum of all chemical reactions that occur in an organism to sustain life.

2. Why is catabolism considered exergonic?

Catabolism releases energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate) through the breakdown of larger molecules. This energy is then used to fuel cellular processes and maintain the body's functions.

3. How can breaking a bond be both endothermic and exergonic?

Breaking a bond requires an input of energy, making it endothermic. However, in catabolism, the breaking of bonds results in a net release of energy, making the overall process exergonic.

4. What is the role of enzymes in catabolism?

Enzymes act as catalysts in catabolic reactions, speeding up the breakdown of molecules without being consumed in the process. They lower the activation energy needed for a reaction to occur, making it more efficient.

5. How does catabolism relate to an organism's energy balance?

Catabolism plays a crucial role in an organism's energy balance by breaking down food molecules to release energy that can be used for cellular processes. It helps maintain the body's energy needs and ensures that energy is efficiently used and conserved.