Catwalk attached to a wall by a hinged held up by a cord

  • Thread starter Thread starter XxseanxX_22@h
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wall
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 5K views
XxseanxX_22@h
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A folding catwalk of uniform density and length 3r is attached to a wall by a hinge. At the other end it is supported by a cable which makes an angle of θ above the horizontal. If a person of mass m stands a distance r from the wall what is the tension, T, in the support cable? The gravitational field is a constant g and the mass of the catwalk itself is 2m.

The Attempt at a Solution


i got (3mg/sintheta) but i don't think this is correct
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi XxseanxX_22@h! Welcome to PF! :smile:
XxseanxX_22@h said:
A folding catwalk of uniform density and length 3r is attached to a wall by a hinge. At the other end it is supported by a cable which makes an angle of θ above the horizontal. If a person of mass m stands a distance r from the wall what is the tension, T, in the support cable? The gravitational field is a constant g and the mass of the catwalk itself is 2m.
…
i got (3mg/sintheta) but i don't think this is correct

hmm … you took vertical components, but you left out the force at the hinge.

Hint: when you've an unknown force like the reaction at the hinge, take moments about some point. :smile:
 
I thought that the net moment at a hinge was 0 as the distance from rotation is 0. Is this wrong?
 
Shambles said:
I thought that the net moment at a hinge was 0 as the distance from rotation is 0. Is this wrong?

Hi Shambles!

No, you're absolutely right …

and that's why we take moments about the hinge …

the force there is unknown, and the question doesn't ask for it …

if we took moments about anywhere else, the force at the hinge would come in, and we'd have to use another equation to eliminate it …

by taking moments about the hinge, we reduce the number of equations we need by one! :biggrin:
 
I know this post is very old, but I have the identical question on my physics assignment. I found out that the forces in the situation equal 3mg=Ty (Ty being the y-component of the tension in the wire) and for the net moment I have sintheta=4mg/3. Are these right, and if so how can I combine them to find T?
 
Hi SeannyBoi71! :smile:

(have a theta: θ :wink:)
SeannyBoi71 said:
… for the net moment I have sintheta=4mg/3

hmm … that's almost right :confused: …

show us how you got that, so we can see what went wrong :smile:
 
I have moment is N=rF. so moment acting clockwise as 2mg3/2r+mgr, and the opposite 3rsinθ. so simplifying, 4mg=3sinθ, and then 4mg/3=sinθ.
I used 3/2r because the weight of the beam has a uniform density and so the moment acts right in the middle of the beam, did I do that right?
 
SeannyBoi71 said:
I have moment is N=rF. so moment acting clockwise as 2mg3/2r+mgr, and the opposite 3rsinθ. so simplifying, 4mg=3sinθ, and then 4mg/3=sinθ.
I used 3/2r because the weight of the beam has a uniform density and so the moment acts right in the middle of the beam, did I do that right?

Yes, I thought you'd done that, and I hoped you'd see what you'd left out once you typed it out …

where's the tension?? :wink:​
 
I found T= Ty/sinθ, but I don't know how to incorporate that with the rest of the information I found!
 
Hi SeannyBoi71! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

SeannyBoi71 said:
I found T= Ty/sinθ, but I don't know how to incorporate that with the rest of the information I found!

ok, when you take https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=64" , as you know, every moment has to be a force times a distance, so make sure that that's what your equation has!

in this case, you multiplied your 3r/2 and r by the appropriate force (the weights), but you didn't multiply your 3rsinθ by its force, which is T …

that should give you the equation for T that you're looking for! :wink:​

(btw, you'll never need Ty, or any other component, for moments … for moments, you always use the whole force)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
in this case, you multiplied your 3r/2 and r by the appropriate force (the weights), but you didn't multiply your 3rsinθ by its force, which is T …

that should give you the equation for T that you're looking for! :wink:​

(btw, you'll never need Ty, or any other component, for moments … for moments, you always use the whole force)

Ok, but if I'm always using the whole force, why would I even need sinθ? Isn't that one of the component parts of the Tension that is at an angle?? :confused: :bugeye:

As you can see I get very confused with moments and equilibrium and stuff.. it's very hard for me to grasp the concept! But thank you very much for your help so far!
 
SeannyBoi71 said:
Ok, but if I'm always using the whole force, why would I even need sinθ? Isn't that one of the component parts of the Tension that is at an angle?? :confused: :bugeye:

ah, now I see what you're doing!

let's go back to your …
SeannyBoi71 said:
I found out that the forces in the situation equal 3mg=Ty (Ty being the y-component of the tension in the wire) and for the net moment I have sintheta=4mg/3. Are these right, and if so how can I combine them to find T?
SeannyBoi71 said:
I found T= Ty/sinθ, but I don't know how to incorporate that with the rest of the information I found!

… you thought you could find T by finding Ty first.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help in this case because
i] you don't have any equation for Tx, to finish the job!
ii] your 3mg = Ty was wrong anyway, because you left out the y-component of the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=73" at the hinge :redface:

Instead, your only useful equation will be the moments equation (about the hinge), which you did use in your next post …
I have moment is N=rF. so moment acting clockwise as 2mg3/2r+mgr, and the opposite 3rsinθ. so simplifying, 4mg=3sinθ, and then 4mg/3=sinθ.

… and for some reason you got the correct distance 3rsinθ, but you didn't mutliply it by the force, T: that would have given you the equation 4mg=3Tsinθ.

The sinθ doesn't come from "Ty = Tsinθ", it comes from the distance 3rsinθ (which you yourself got :wink:), so you must multiply it by the whole of T.

(You can split T into Tx and Ty, and then use a distance of 3r instead of 3rsinθ, but that isn't the way you actually did it, and although it works I don't recommend it since I think it's a bit confusing and might lead to mistakes.)

ok, sorry if that's a bit confusing :redface:: write it all out and see if you get the correct answer, and if you're still worried about anything, come back and ask :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! I finally got the answer. It definitely makes sense now. Thanks again :)