How Is the Vertical Force Calculated at the Hinge in a Beam and Sign System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous123451234
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle Sign
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 6K views
Anonymous123451234
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
A shop sign weighing 215 N hangs from the end of a uniform 155-N beam.

Tension in supporting wire= 642 N
Horizontal force exerted by the hinge= 526N


Find the vertical force exerted by the hinge on the beam at the wall

upload_2017-11-13_22-1-52.png


Fy= Fhy + Ft * sin() - mg - Mg =0

My attempt:
Fhy= -(Ft *sin() - mg - Mg)
=-(642*sin(35) - 155 - 215)
= 1.76 N

My answer is incorrect, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-11-13_22-1-52.png
    upload_2017-11-13_22-1-52.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 2,967
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anonymous123451234 said:
A shop sign weighing 215 N hangs from the end of a uniform 155-N beam.

Tension in supporting wire= 642 N
Horizontal force exerted by the hinge= 526N


Find the vertical force exerted by the hinge on the beam at the wall

View attachment 215006


Fy= Fhy + Ft * sin() - mg - Mg =0

My attempt:
Fhy= -(Ft *sin() - mg - Mg)
=-(642*sin(35) - 155 - 215)
= 1.7 N

My answer is incorrect, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
How did you get that tension? I get rather less.
 
haruspex said:
How did you get that tension? I get rather less.
I used the formula Ft= (mg length/2 + Mglength) / (length*sin(35))
 
Anonymous123451234 said:
I used the formula Ft= (mg length/2 + Mglength) / (length*sin(35))
The cable is not attached to the end of the rod.
 
haruspex said:
The cable is not attached to the end of the rod.

It doesn't matter where on the rod it's attached to in this scenario. It goofed me up at first because I thought it did matter when it actually did not. This is the correct tension.
 
Anonymous123451234 said:
It doesn't matter where on the rod it's attached to in this scenario. It goofed me up at first because I thought it did matter when it actually did not. This is the correct tension.
For the torque, it matters.
However, you are right that the tension is 642N, I made a mistake.
 
So, now I wonder whether your 1.7 is not quite accurate enough. I get exactly 5/3N. (There's a lot of cancellation, and angle turns out not to matter.)
 
haruspex said:
So, now I wonder whether your 1.7 is not quite accurate enough. I get exactly 5/3N. (There's a lot of cancellation, and angle turns out not to matter.)
I get exactly 1.7639278626, rounded to 3 sig figs is 1.76 N which is incorrect.
 
Anonymous123451234 said:
I get exactly 1.7639278626, rounded to 3 sig figs is 1.76 N which is incorrect.
To get the most accurate answer, forget the results for earlier parts of the problem. Using those introduces rounding errors.
Take moments about the point of attachment of the wire.