Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cauchy Reimann Equations Question?

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    I'd like to make sure of something. To begin with d/dx will denote partials. My text (Complex Analysis by Steine and Shakarchi) derives the equality df/dx = (1/i) df/dy. To derive this it considers the difference quotient by letting h be real and purely imaginary in another case. But it let's f(z) = f(x,y) where z = x + iy. So for real h we get df/dx and for purely imaginey h (1/i) df/dy. I was trying to cheek this with an example f(z) = z^2 and I "converted" this to it's correspondig real form f(x,y) = (x^2 - y^2, 2xy) and calculated the partials and then tested to see if it would work since f is Holomorphic. But it doesn't. Is this because the f in df/dx and the other is not the corresponding real function but rather the complex one? I converted the partials back to their complex forms and the equality did work. Is this the way you're supposed tenches these things? I guess I must use the cauchy reman equations instead with these partials, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2
    Sorry for all the typos I'm on my phone lol

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3

Erland

Science Advisor

If f = u + i v (u, v real valued functions of x and y), then df/dx = du/dx + i dv/dx and df/fy = du/dy + i dv/dy (by definition). Using this, everything works fine, also for z^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + i 2xy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook