Cauchy Reimann Equations Question?

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equality df/dx = (1/i) df/dy using the difference quotient and an example of f(z) = z^2. The individual is trying to confirm the validity of the equality by converting the example to its corresponding real form, but it does not work. This is because the f in df/dx and the other is not the corresponding real function, but rather the complex one. The individual then mentions using Cauchy-Riemann equations instead and apologizes for any typos due to being on their phone.
Buri
I'd like to make sure of something. To begin with d/dx will denote partials. My text (Complex Analysis by Steine and Shakarchi) derives the equality df/dx = (1/i) df/dy. To derive this it considers the difference quotient by letting h be real and purely imaginary in another case. But it let's f(z) = f(x,y) where z = x + iy. So for real h we get df/dx and for purely imaginey h (1/i) df/dy. I was trying to cheek this with an example f(z) = z^2 and I "converted" this to it's correspondig real form f(x,y) = (x^2 - y^2, 2xy) and calculated the partials and then tested to see if it would work since f is Holomorphic. But it doesn't. Is this because the f in df/dx and the other is not the corresponding real function but rather the complex one? I converted the partials back to their complex forms and the equality did work. Is this the way you're supposed tenches these things? I guess I must use the cauchy reman equations instead with these partials, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for all the typos I'm on my phone lol

If f = u + i v (u, v real valued functions of x and y), then df/dx = du/dx + i dv/dx and df/fy = du/dy + i dv/dy (by definition). Using this, everything works fine, also for z^2 = (x^2 - y^2) + i 2xy.

What are Cauchy Reimann equations?

Cauchy Reimann equations are a set of equations used in complex analysis to determine the analyticity of a function. They state that a complex function is analytic if and only if it satisfies these equations.

What is the significance of Cauchy Reimann equations?

The significance of Cauchy Reimann equations lies in their ability to determine whether a complex function is analytic, which is a crucial concept in complex analysis. These equations also provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of complex functions.

How do I solve Cauchy Reimann equations?

Solving Cauchy Reimann equations often involves using the properties of complex numbers and manipulating the equations to isolate the variables. It may also require knowledge of differentiation and partial derivatives.

What are some applications of Cauchy Reimann equations?

Cauchy Reimann equations have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and signal processing, to name a few.

Are Cauchy Reimann equations difficult to understand?

While Cauchy Reimann equations may seem complex, they can be easily understood with a solid foundation in complex numbers and calculus. With practice and patience, anyone can grasp the concepts and solve these equations.