Cauchy-Riemann equation for f(z) = 2x + ixy²

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
63
I am currently learning how to work with Cauchy-Riemann equations.

The equation is f(z) = 2x+ixy^2.

My question: is u(x,y) = 2x or just x?
At this link: http://www.math.mun.ca/~mkondra/coan/as3a.pdf in letter e) they say u(x,y) is equal to x. But I don't understand how that is possible.

Is that a typo or am I missing something critically important?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am 99.999997% that this should be ##u(x,y)=2x ## . It is a typo; Given f(x,y)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y), u(x,y) is the Real part of f(x,y)..
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RJLiberator
Excellent. Thank you for that confirmation.
 
I presume that you text has already defined x and y as the real and imaginary parts of z, z= x+ iy, so that x and y are real numbers themselves.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RJLiberator
Yes, that is correct indeed.