1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Cauchy Riemann Equations for this Function

1. Jun 26, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify that each of the following functions is entire:
    f(z)=(z^2-2)e^(-x)e^(-iy)

2. Relevant equations

The Cauchy Riemann equations u(x,y) = ______ and v(x,y) = ______
    u_y=-v_x
    u_x=v_y

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I've done a few of these problems and understand that to prove it's entire we need to show that the C-R equations exist for all z and are satisfied. Also, noting that Ux Uy Vx Vy are continuous.

My problem is, I'm not sure how to get this into correct form. What is u(x,y) =?
    Do I distribute first? How to change this function into something that works?

Would it be
    (z^2-2)/(e^x*e^iy)
    Is that a good start? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't believe so.

For starters, write z = x + iy, and split ##(z^2 - 2)e^{-x}e^{-iy}## into its real and imaginary parts. u(x, y) is the real part of f(z) and v(x, y) is the imaginary part.

A useful formula that you omitted, and that might come in handy, is ##e^{it} = \cos(t) + i\sin(t)##.

4. Jun 26, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thanks Mark.

So we do have to expand the z then.

So this would mean:

(x^2+2yxi-y^2-2)/(e^xcos(y)+e^x(isin(y)))

The thing that is throwing me off here is the negative exponents, I'm not sure what to do with those, so I put the term in the denominator.

That doesn't seem right however.

5. Jun 26, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Moving them to the denominator is no help. Leave the e-x factor as is, and rewrite the e-iy factor as below.
    ##e^{-x}e^{-iy} = e^{-x}(\cos(y) - i\sin(y))##

6. Jun 26, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Rather than put "[itex]e^xcos(y)+e^x(isin(y))[/itex]" in the denominator, I think I would write [itex]e^{-x- iy}= e^{-x}e^{-iy}= e^{-x}(cos(-y)+ i sin(-y))= e^{-x}(cos(x)- i sin(x))[/itex]

7. Jun 26, 2015 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

That was indeed the element of this question that I was missing out/overlooked.

So with that in play, we see that
    u(x,y) = (x^2-y^2-2)e^(-x)cos(x)+2ye^(-x)sin(y)
    v(x,y) = 2ye^(-x)cos(x)-(x^2-y^2-2)e^(-x)sin(y)

8. Jun 26, 2015 #7

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Re: this thread, I found out that the composition of two functions that are entire is entire.

So One can look at (z^2-2) and e^(-x)e^(-iy) as two different functions, evaluate their cauchy-riemann equations and see that each is entire to conclude the composition is entire.

=)

9. Jun 26, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But notice you are not composing the functions, you are multiplying them ( though the result is true that the product of entires is entire )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted