Can Cellulase Proteins Be Integrated into Human Gut Bacteria for Digestion?

• Thread starter MonsieurWise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary: Thanks in advance!After that, I would like to find out if one can somehow integrate the cellulase-producing-bacteria's genes to that of a bacteria that lives in human's stomach, the E.Coli for example, so human would have a continuous source of cellulase. Is that actually possible? If it is, what method should I use? And would it be possible to do it in a high school's lab in about 30 days?It IS possible to engineer E. coli to express cellulases, however you will need a PhD in Molecular Biology and a fully equipped PC2 laboratory. You won't be able to do it at school...and it
MonsieurWise
Hi, I'm currently planning on a project for my school's science fair. I was thinking about the cellulase proteins topic, because I thought it would be interesting if humans can digest cellulose just like herbivores...

I found out that breaking down cellulose requires many steps, thus demands a list of different kind of enzymes, not only one kind as I initially thought. So I have a few questions and I need some advices ^^'.

Where can I find a full list of bacteria and enzymes that involve in cellulolysis in cows? I tried to search but all they have was some general info...

After that, I would like to find out if one can somehow integrate the cellulase-producing-bacteria's genes to that of a bacteria that lives in human's stomach, the E.Coli for example, so human would have a continuous source of cellulase. Is that actually possible? If it is, what method should I use? And would it be possible to do it in a high school's lab in about 30 days?

Thank you so much in advance :)).

Biology news on Phys.org
MonsieurWise said:
Hi, I'm currently planning on a project for my school's science fair. I was thinking about the cellulase proteins topic, because I thought it would be interesting if humans can digest cellulose just like herbivores...

I found out that breaking down cellulose requires many steps, thus demands a list of different kind of enzymes, not only one kind as I initially thought. So I have a few questions and I need some advices ^^'.

Where can I find a full list of bacteria and enzymes that involve in cellulolysis in cows? I tried to search but all they have was some general info...

This is not a full list but it is just about all we know at the moment. There are 115 families of different cellulases (or glycoside hydrolases - GH for short). You will see that there are many hundreds that have been discovered.

http://www.cazy.org/Glycoside-Hydrolases.html

After that, I would like to find out if one can somehow integrate the cellulase-producing-bacteria's genes to that of a bacteria that lives in human's stomach, the E.Coli for example, so human would have a continuous source of cellulase. Is that actually possible? If it is, what method should I use? And would it be possible to do it in a high school's lab in about 30 days?

Thank you so much in advance :)).

It IS possible to engineer E. coli to express cellulases, however you will need a PhD in Molecular Biology and a fully equipped PC2 laboratory. You won't be able to do it at school...and it takes longer than 30 days generally, unless you are repeating someone else's work, but even then you have to order the gene and that can take several weeks to get to you and that is before you even start the lab work.

You can get a commercial cellulase enzyme mixture from Novozymes (called the Novozymes Biomass Kit - call them up). It contains the four basic enzymes you need to hydrolyse cellulose to glucoses. You might be able to get your teacher to get some then you can do experiments on biomass or newspaper or cotton and test to see how fast the sugars are produced. It is not very exciting to watch though as it takes at least overnight. Have a chat to your teacher about it...

Cheers and good luck,

FM

Wow o_O. I never thought it would be so complicated... I initially thought that transferring the genes would be almost like the "glowing bacteria" experiment my friend is doing...
Thank you so much for the info o_O. It helps a lot!
Thanks again ^^.

FairtuMydling said:
It IS possible to engineer E. coli to express cellulases, however you will need a PhD in Molecular Biology and a fully equipped PC2 laboratory. You won't be able to do it at school...and it takes longer than 30 days generally, unless you are repeating someone else's work, but even then you have to order the gene and that can take several weeks to get to you and that is before you even start the lab work.
I don't fully agree there. A bachelor student should be able to do it in one-two weeks. Isolate cDNA of the required gene, put it into an expression vector, transform the bacteria and voila (not taking into account Murphy's law). I agree that it is not a project for a high-school student.

I have one more question...I bought the cellulase (expensive!) and I'm trying to break down the cellulose outside the body. Several things I want to ask: Will cellulases get used up in the body? If it does, will cellulases be used up in the outside environment? Will they just change their shapes, do the work, and then return to initial state? And after the cellulase break down the cellulose in a petri disk, is there a particular method for me to separate the glucose from the mess of enzymes, cellulose and any other products in the middle of breaking down?
I know that's a lot of questions...
Thank you so much in advance!

1. What is the purpose of the Cellulase project?

The Cellulase project aims to develop a more efficient and cost-effective method for producing cellulase enzymes, which are used in various industries for the breakdown of cellulose into simple sugars.

2. What is cellulase and why is it important?

Cellulase is an enzyme that breaks down cellulose, a complex carbohydrate found in plants. It is important because it allows for the conversion of cellulose into usable sugars, which can then be used as a source of energy or in the production of various products.

3. How is the Cellulase project different from previous research on cellulase?

The Cellulase project utilizes advanced biotechnology and genetic engineering techniques to develop more efficient and cost-effective methods for producing cellulase enzymes. Previous research has primarily focused on natural sources of cellulase, such as fungi and bacteria.

4. What are the potential applications of the Cellulase project?

The Cellulase project has the potential to benefit various industries, including biofuel production, paper and pulp manufacturing, and textile production. It could also have environmental benefits by reducing the amount of waste produced by these industries.

5. What are the challenges in developing an efficient cellulase production method?

One of the main challenges in developing an efficient cellulase production method is finding a way to produce large quantities of the enzyme at a low cost. Additionally, finding a way to optimize the enzyme's activity and stability in different environments is also a key challenge.