Center Gravity and Moment of Inertia

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the moment of inertia of a system of four objects held in a rectangle by light rods. The mass values of the objects are given and the task is to find the moment of inertia about the x axis, y axis, and an axis through point O perpendicular to the page. The solution involves finding the center of gravity and using the equation Σmr2 to calculate the moment of inertia. Pythagoras' theorem can also be used to simplify the calculations.
ymehuuh

Homework Statement

Four objects are held in position at the corners of a rectangle by light rods as shown in the figure below. The mass values are given below.
M1 (kg) M2 (kg) M3 (kg) M4 (kg)
3.50 1.50 3.90 1.70
p8-29alt.gif

(a) Find the moment of inertia of the system about the x axis.

(b) Find the moment of inertia of the system about the y axis.

(c) Find the moment of inertia of the system about an axis through O and perpendicular to the page.

Homework Equations

Center of Gravity: sumM1*X1+M1*X2.../M1+M2...

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the center of gravity for the x-axis to be .037736...how do I find the moment of inertia with that information?

Attachments

• p8-29alt.gif
    p8-29alt.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the x and y CoM.

Knowing that then the moment I about the CoM is Σmr2.

The axes are simpler in that for

I_x = Σm_i*y_i2

I_y = Σm_i*x_i2

Oh, I reversed the two and that's why I got it wrong. Thanks.
What would I use for part c?

ymehuuh said:
Oh, I reversed the two and that's why I got it wrong. Thanks.
What would I use for part c?

What are the distances to each corner from O to each mass?

I_o = Σmr2

It's made a little easier by Pythagoras, so be sure and thank him.

lowlypion said:
what are the distances to each corner from o to each mass?

I_o = Σmr2

it's made a little easier by pythagoras, so be sure and thank him.

perfect! Thanks!

1. What is center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which all the weight of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the object will balance in any orientation.

2. How is center of gravity calculated?

The center of gravity can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual weights of an object. This can be done by dividing the total weight of the object by the sum of all the weights multiplied by their respective distances from a reference point.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. It is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass relative to its axis of rotation.

4. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by summing the products of each individual mass element of an object multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This calculation can be expressed mathematically as ∫r²dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the differential mass element.

5. Why are center of gravity and moment of inertia important in physics and engineering?

Center of gravity and moment of inertia are important concepts in physics and engineering because they help in analyzing the stability, motion, and behavior of objects. They are crucial in designing structures and machines, as well as in understanding the movements of celestial bodies and other natural phenomena.