Center Mass Acceleration of 2 bodies on different inclines.

In summary, the cosine of the angles represents the component of the acceleration due to gravity that acts in the direction of the center of mass.
eginon
[Edit: ignore the below I realized what it represented later this afternoon. Probably because I asked and stopped thinking about it.]

Jack is at the top of a hill that is 35 degrees. Jill is at the bottom of the hill on another slope which is 22 degrees. Determine the acceleration of the center mass. Jack and Jills masses are given but I think they are probably not relevant to the question I have, let's just call them m1 and m2. Based on looking at other questions I know that the solution is

[itex]\frac{1}{M}(m1 g sin(\theta) cos(\theta) + m2 g sin(\phi) cos(\phi))[/itex]Where M=m1+m2 , θ represents the angle of Jack's slope, and [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle of Jill's slope

I get that Jack's acceleration due to gravity is a=g sin(θ). Before I looked up the correct answer I was mistakenly using just a = g sin θ. What does the cos of θ and [itex]\phi[/itex] of each angle represent in relation to center mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The cosine of the angles represents the component of the acceleration due to gravity that is in the direction of the center of mass. This is because if you draw a triangle between Jack and Jill, the cosines of the angles will be proportional to the ratio of the distances between Jack and Jill and the center of mass.

1. What is Center Mass Acceleration?

Center Mass Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of the center of mass of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity.

2. How is Center Mass Acceleration calculated?

Center Mass Acceleration is calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force acting on the object, and m is the mass of the object. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion.

3. What is the relationship between Center Mass Acceleration and incline?

The relationship between Center Mass Acceleration and incline depends on the angle of incline. If the incline is at a 0 degree angle, the acceleration will be equal to the force of gravity. As the angle of incline increases, the acceleration decreases since the force of gravity is acting in a direction parallel to the incline.

4. How do two bodies on different inclines affect each other's Center Mass Acceleration?

The two bodies will have different Center Mass Accelerations since they are on different inclines. However, if the bodies are connected by a string or rope, the tension in the string will cause the bodies to accelerate towards each other, creating a net acceleration for both bodies that is dependent on the mass and incline of each body.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying Center Mass Acceleration of two bodies on different inclines?

Studying Center Mass Acceleration of two bodies on different inclines can have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. For example, understanding the relationship between incline and acceleration can help engineers design efficient ramps or roller coasters. In physics, it can help in analyzing the motion of objects on inclined planes. In sports, it can be useful in understanding the mechanics of skiing, skateboarding, or other activities that involve inclined surfaces.