Center of Gravity for nonuniform plank

In summary, the problem involves a plank with a box of negligible mass on one end and sand distributed uniformly throughout the box. The plank is nonuniform and has a center of gravity 50.0cm from the right end. The question is unclear, as the person asking is unsure of whether to use the fact that torque is zero or the equation for center of gravity. They are looking for guidance on how to proceed.
bullsangelsra

Homework Statement

A box of negligible mass rests at the left end of a 1.90m, 23.5kg plank The width of the box is 75.0 , and sand is to be distributed uniformly throughout it. The center of gravity of the nonuniform plank is 50.0 from the right end.

I am lost pls help me

i know the torque is going to be zero, but i don't know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
is Xcm equal to the fulcrum or the center of gravity?

do i use the fact that torque equals zero or do i use the equation for the center of gravity..can someone just point me in the right direction?

bullsangelsra said:

Homework Statement

A box of negligible mass rests at the left end of a 1.90m, 23.5kg plank The width of the box is 75.0 , and sand is to be distributed uniformly throughout it. The center of gravity of the nonuniform plank is 50.0 from the right end.
What is the question? Please state the complete problem exactly as it was given.

1. What is the center of gravity for a nonuniform plank?

The center of gravity for a nonuniform plank is the point at which the entire weight of the plank can be considered to act. It is the point at which the plank would balance if placed on a pivot.

2. How is the center of gravity calculated for a nonuniform plank?

The center of gravity for a nonuniform plank can be calculated by dividing the plank into smaller sections and finding the center of gravity for each section. The overall center of gravity can then be determined by taking the weighted average of these individual centers of gravity.

3. Why is it important to know the center of gravity for a nonuniform plank?

Knowing the center of gravity for a nonuniform plank is important for determining its stability and balance. It also plays a crucial role in the design and construction of structures that use planks, such as bridges or platforms.

4. Can the center of gravity for a nonuniform plank change?

Yes, the center of gravity for a nonuniform plank can change if the distribution of weight on the plank is altered. For example, if an object is added or removed from the plank, the center of gravity will shift accordingly.

5. How can the center of gravity for a nonuniform plank be adjusted?

The center of gravity for a nonuniform plank can be adjusted by redistributing the weight on the plank. This can be done by adding or removing objects, or by changing the shape or position of the existing objects on the plank.