Central Force Field: Meaning of Centrifugal Term

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
rob60
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the study of motion in a Central-Force Field in radial coordinates it is defined an effective potential energy which depends only on the radius r: in particular there is a term 'centrifugal' because the relative force (-grad) has a centrifugal versus. What is the meaning of this expression since it is derived from an inertial frame?
thank you

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


 
Physics news on Phys.org
rob60 said:

Homework Statement



In the study of motion in a Central-Force Field in radial coordinates it is defined an effective potential energy which depends only on the radius r: in particular there is a term 'centrifugal' because the relative force (-grad) has a centrifugal versus. What is the meaning of this expression since it is derived from an inertial frame?
thank you

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Some key words in your post are missing or incorrect, as it makes no sense as it stands?
 
I'm sorry but I do not understand what are the errors. thanks for the help
 
rob60 said:
I'm sorry but I do not understand what are the errors. thanks for the help

What is a centrifugal versus?

And I don't think you should be using the term centrifugal anyway! The is no such thing as a centrifugal force!
 
oh yes. My english is inadequate: excuse me, please.
the 'effective potential expression' has a term: + L^2/(2mr^2).
The force associate is directed outward from the center of the orbit, it looks like a 'centrifugal force'.