1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Centrifugal term in mechanical energy in gravitation

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    I'm studying effective potential in newtonian gravitation. The mechanical energy of a body can be written
    $$E=\frac{1}{2}\mu {\dot{r}}^2+\frac{L^2}{2\mu r^2}-\gamma \frac{m M}{r^2} \tag{1}$$

Where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the reduced mass of the system planet-star.

Consider now the term $$U_{centrifugal}=\frac{L^2}{2\mu r^2}$$
    I don't understand this explanation found on Morin.
    Why [itex]mr^2\dot{ θ}^2/2[/itex] is greater than maximum KE allowed by conservation of energy in this case?

In general how does [itex]U_{centrifugal}[/itex] prevent the planet to collide with the star (provided the planet has non zero angular momentum)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2016 #2
    do not compare the two terms , rather one should compare the total potential and the kinetic energy - and for a bound state the total energy should be negative that id the potential energy should be greater than the kinetic energy.-or plot the graph of potential + centrifugal term and see that the bound state energy is -ve.

if you look at the above potential energy plot you will see the barrier as its positive and goes to infinity as r goes to minimum distance of approach. say r0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted