1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass and translational motion

1. Nov 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 270 kg flatcar 20 m long is moving with a speed of 5.0 m/s along horizontal frictionless rails. A 90 kg worker starts walking from one end of the car to the other in the direction of motion, with speed 3.0 m/s with respect to the car.

2. Relevant equations

MVcm = m1v1 + m2v2

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the Vcm to be 4.5 m/s

I have no idea how to find the distance traveled by the car...can someone please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How did you come up with that? (Hint: You are told that the initial speed of everything is 5.0 m/s.)

4. Nov 16, 2008 #3
    I used the equation to find that...i dunno if its right or wrong..i dunno how to approach the problem

5. Nov 16, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The speed of the center of mass is given as 5.0 m/s. Since Vcm can't change, use that equation to figure out the speed of the car while the man is walking. Hint: If the speed of the car with respect to the ground is called +V, and the speed of the man with respect to the car is -3 m/s, what would be the speed of the man with respect to the ground in terms of V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?