How to find amplitude in SHM problem

In summary, a 120g mass rolls down a frictionless hill with a speed of 4.2 m/s and collides with a 300g mass attached to a spring of constant 30 N/m. The two masses stick together and enter into periodic motion. The equation for the motion is x(t)=0.266sin(8.44t). However, there may be a typo in the problem as the given answer does not match the calculated value for A.
Brittany King

Homework Statement

A mass of 120g rolls down a frictionless hill reaching a speed of 4.2 m/s and collides with another mass 3.00g attached to a spring of constant 30 N/m. The two masses stick together and enter into periodic motion. What is the equation for the motion?

Homework Equations

m1v1+m2v2=mtV
x(t)=Acos(wt+phi)
w=k/m^1/2
Vmax=wA

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Vfinal=1.2 m/s
Also found w=8.45 rad by w=k/m^1/2
I thought A would be 0.142 but in the answer A=0.266
the answer is: x(t)=0.266sin(8.44t)

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you meant to type 300 g rather than 3.00 g for the second mass.

Your work looks good to me. I agree that A = 0.142 m.

[EDIT: I'm assuming that the first mass reaches the bottom of the hill and then moves horizontally before hitting the spring as shown below.]

(If there is no friction on the hill, the 120 g mass would slide rather than roll down the hill.)

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

1. What is the definition of amplitude in SHM?

The amplitude in SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) is the maximum displacement or distance from equilibrium of an oscillating object. It is represented by the letter "A" and is measured in units of length.

2. How do I calculate the amplitude in an SHM problem?

The amplitude can be calculated by finding the difference between the maximum and minimum values of the oscillating object's displacement. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation A = xmax - xmin, where xmax is the maximum displacement and xmin is the minimum displacement.

3. Can the amplitude be negative in an SHM problem?

Yes, the amplitude can be negative in an SHM problem. This indicates that the oscillating object is displaced in the negative direction from the equilibrium point. However, the amplitude is always represented as a positive value in calculations.

4. How does the amplitude affect the period of an SHM?

The amplitude does not affect the period of an SHM. The period depends only on the mass and the spring constant of the oscillating object. However, a larger amplitude will result in a greater maximum speed and acceleration of the object, which can affect the overall motion.

5. Is there a relationship between the amplitude and energy in SHM?

Yes, there is a relationship between the amplitude and energy in SHM. The potential energy of an oscillating object is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude, while the kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity, which is dependent on the amplitude. This means that a greater amplitude will result in a higher total energy in the system.