Centre of percussion of a baseball bat

  • Thread starter Thread starter Clara Chung
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Baseball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Clara Chung
Messages
300
Reaction score
13

Homework Statement


35.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know how to do the last part. How can there be no change in velocity of there is a change in angular velocity of the bat? Is the grip point acting as another axis?
 
Attachments
  • 35.png
    35.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
How can there be no change in velocity of there is a change in angular velocity of the bat?
If the linear velocity of the mass centre changes and the angular velocity changes then there will be a unique point at which these two cancel, leaving no change in linear velocity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Clara Chung
haruspex said:
If the linear velocity of the mass centre changes and the angular velocity changes then there will be a unique point at which these two cancel, leaving no change in linear velocity.
I tried to express change in angular velocity, which is
MΔv=J and Mk02 Δw = (d+1.3)J
Δv+Δw=0
so I get,
J/M + (dgrip+0.8)(d+1.3)J/ Mk02 = 0
Why can't I get the answer ?
 
Clara Chung said:
(d+1.3)J
Where does the 1.3 come from? What axis are you using here?
Clara Chung said:
Δv+Δw=0
You cannot add a velocity to an angular velocity.
You are trying to express the fact that a certain point does not change linear speed. How does its speed depend on the speed of the mass centre and its distance from the mass centre?
Be careful with signs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Clara Chung
haruspex said:
Where does the 1.3 come from? What axis are you using here?

You cannot add a velocity to an angular velocity.
You are trying to express the fact that a certain point does not change linear speed. How does its speed depend on the speed of the mass centre and its distance from the mass centre?
Be careful with signs.
I am using the rotational pivot. Am I right?
 
Clara Chung said:
I am using the rotational pivot. Am I right?
Does that fit with the way k0 is defined?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Clara Chung
haruspex said:
Does that fit with the way k0 is defined?
Thank you so much. I solved it by using the centre of mass frame^^
 
Clara Chung said:
Thank you so much. I solved it by using the centre of mass frame^^
Very good.
For problems involving angular momentum, you should always use an axis that is either a point fixed in an inertial frame or the mass centre. Anything else can lead to a wrong result.