1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Center of Percussion

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rod of mass M and length L rests on a frictionless table and is pivoted on a frictionless nail at one end. A blob of putty of mass m approaches with velocity v from the left and strikes the rod a distance d rom the end as shown, sticking to the rod.

1. Find the angular velocity of the system about the nail after the collision (already done)
    2. Is there a value of d for which linear momentum is conserved? If there were such a value, it would be called the center of percussion for the rod for this sort of collision.

2. Relevant equations

ω final = [itex]\frac{mvd}{(1/3)ML^2 + md^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I know that linear momentum most be conserved. I don't know how to find the linear momentum of the rod

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The linear momentum of any object can be calculated as the total mass of the object multiplied by the linear velocity of the center of mass of the object.

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    So then do I just need to set P initial to P final, and solve for d, without having to worry about angular momentum?

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Essentially, yes. But you'll need to use your result from part 1 which came from conservation of angular momentum. Also, don't forget to include the final linear momentum of the putty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted