Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Centripetal Acceleration and Satellite Question

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The astronaut orbiting the Earth in Figure P4.30 is preparing to dock with a Westar VI satellite. The satellite is in a circular orbit 600 km above the Earth's surface, where the free-fall acceleration is 8.21 m/s2. The radius of the Earth is 6400 km.
    a) Determine the speed of the satellite. m/s
    b) Determine the time required to complete one orbit around the Earth. min

2. Relevant equations[/b]
    centripetal acceleration= v squared/ radius
    distance*speed= time

3. The attempt at a solution[/b]
    To solve for the speed I used 8.21 as the centripetal acceleration and made that equal to v squared/7000 and then solved for v.

8.21=v squared/7000
    v= 239 m/s

I then took 14000*3.14 for the circumference of the orbit and multiplied that by 239 m/s for the total time to orbit and divided that by 60 to put the answer in minutes. I got 2919.94 minutes.

However, both answers are wrong. Can I not use the free fall acceleration for centripetal acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

Are you trying to claim that distance*speed = time? You might want to rethink that one...

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, you can, and you should, because gravity is what is providing the centripetal force that keeps the satellite moving in a circle. You might have a computation error. Can you post your calculations for part a?

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    for part a I used the equation centripetal acceleration= v^2/ radius

8.21= v^2/(6400+600)
    57470=v^2
    v= 239.73

what is wrong with this calculation?

Concerning finding the time. I completely forgot that t=distance/speed.

6. Sep 19, 2010 #5
    I just realized my problem. I did not do the simple unit conversions from km to m. Everything worked out fine. Thanks for all of your help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook