Centripetal Acceleration Quick Question

In summary, the maximum speed at which an automobile can travel across a bridge with a roadway in the shape of an arch with a radius of curvature of 41 m is 20.06 m/s. This is determined by setting the centripetal force equal to the gravitational force minus the normal force. However, the normal force is not present at the apex of the bridge, so the limiting speed is actually lower. To find the exact maximum speed, the length of the bridge would also need to be known.
Speedking96

Homework Statement

A bridge over a small river has a roadway which is in the shape of an arch having radius of curvature of 41 m. What is the maximum speed at which an automobile can travel across the bridge without leaving the bridge?

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r

Fg= mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = ma

Fc = Fg - Fn

(mv^2) / r = mg - fn

(v^2) / r = g

root ( 41 * 9.81) = 20.06 m/s

I know that this is the right answer, but I don't understand why the normal force is zero. Isn't the bridge exerting a force equal to that of gravity on the car so that it doesn't go through the bridge?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point at which the automobile leaves the bridge is when it's no longer in contact with the bridge i.e. there is no normal force. There's no force preventing it going through the bridge because it isn't in contact with it.

Likes 1 person
Speedking96 said:

Homework Statement

A bridge over a small river has a roadway which is in the shape of an arch having radius of curvature of 41 m. What is the maximum speed at which an automobile can travel across the bridge without leaving the bridge?

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r

Fg= mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = ma

Fc = Fg - Fn

(mv^2) / r = mg - fn

(v^2) / r = g

root ( 41 * 9.81) = 20.06 m/s

I know that this is the right answer, but I don't understand why the normal force is zero. Isn't the bridge exerting a force equal to that of gravity on the car so that it doesn't go through the bridge?
That's only if the bridge is flat. Did you ever feel like, when you were going over a bump in the road, you were almost flying out of your seat. Part of the gravitational force is used up just trying to hold you down in the curved trajectory.

Likes 1 person
Speedking96 said:
(v^2) / r = g

I know that this is the right answer,
Actually, it isn't. That's the limiting speed for it to stay in contact at the apex of the bridge, but if it's a constant arc then the speed at start and end of the arc will need to be lower. To find out what that is you'd need to know the length of the bridge.

I can explain that the normal force in this scenario is indeed zero because the car is traveling at a constant speed and direction, which means it is not accelerating. In order for the car to stay on the bridge, the centripetal force (Fc) provided by the road must be equal to the force of gravity (Fg) pulling the car downwards. This means that the net force (Fnet) acting on the car is zero, and therefore there is no need for a normal force to counteract it. The fact that the bridge is exerting a force on the car is true, but it is not a separate force from the centripetal force provided by the road. They are both part of the net force acting on the car. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is caused by the centripetal force that keeps the object moving along the circular path.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. Since it always points towards the center of the circle, it can only have a magnitude and direction, but not a negative value.

4. What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the acceleration in the direction of the object's velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circular path. They are perpendicular to each other and together they make up the total acceleration of the object.

5. What is the relationship between centripetal acceleration and centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the centripetal force increases, the centripetal acceleration also increases, and vice versa.