Centripetal Accelleration (Rotating object on a string)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an 80cm string with a mass attached, being rotated at a rate of one revolution per second. The goal is to find the angle made with the vertical by the string, using the given variables of gravity and string length. The individual has attempted to solve the problem using geometric calculations, but is unsure of the accuracy and is seeking a simpler solution. The suggestion is made to create a free body diagram and calculate the string force, which could potentially provide a solution.
DeviledEgg24
I'm having trouble solving the following problem:

An 80cm string with a mass attached to the end is rotated at a rate of one revolution per second. Assuming the force of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, what is the angle made with the vertical by the string? [My words, but these were all the variables given].

As for my attempt to solve it: The rotating string will obviously make a cone, with the downward force of gravity at 9.8 m/s2 pulling down and the inward force of centripetal acceleration pulling 'out'. Since the period is one, the centripetal acceleration can be defined as 4 * pi^2 * R, where R is the radius of the circle in meters. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time figuring out what the radius of the bottom of the cone is when the slant height is .8m. The problem is easy to solve if I just cheat and use .8m for the radius, but that would leave the length of the string (the slant height of the cone) greater then .8m.

I went through a long series of geometric calculations to try and get an equation to relate radius, slant height, and gravity, and I ended up getting a radius of .7605m, which may or may not be correct. That radius gave me an angle of 71.92 degrees with the vertical, but the process I went through to get it was so convoluted I can barely follow it, and I can't even begin to type it out.

Is there a simple way to solve this problem that I'm missing? I'm bad at typing out math problems, so I scanned in this diagram of how I set up the problem to hopefully make it more obvious:

http://i.imgur.com/Lob0B.png

To solve for theta with a radius of .8, I simply plugged it into the formula: tan^-1((4 * pi^2 * .8)/9.8) = 72.76 degrees. But again, the length of the rope would be something greater then .8m, and I'm not sure how to solve it using the length of the rope (hypotenuse of my triangle) instead of the radius.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Try make a free body diagram of the mass. If you write up the horizontal acceleration as a function of the strings angle with the vertical, can you then calculate the string force? If you can, then perhaps you can find something interesting looking at the vertical projection of the string force (or acceleration).

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path due to the change in direction of its velocity. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration in the direction of the tangent to the circle. They are perpendicular to each other and together make up the total acceleration of the object.

What is the role of centripetal acceleration in circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. Without it, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal acceleration?

The magnitude of centripetal acceleration is affected by the speed of the object and the radius of the circle. The greater the speed or the smaller the radius, the greater the centripetal acceleration will be.