Centripetal combined with Gravitational Force

In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's Law of Gravity and the calculation of the acceleration due to the attraction between masses. The acceleration due to gravity is determined to be 9.8m/s/s. However, there is a question about the role of the Earth's rotation and centrifugal force in decreasing the strength of gravitational force. The conversation concludes that the Earth's rotation does affect the strength of gravity, leading to variations in the measured value of g. The value of g is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, but it can differ based on location.
dliangsta
Hi! So I learned Newtons Law of Gravity and used the numbers to calculate that the acceleration due to the attraction between masses is 9.8m/s/s. Hooray! This is what I've learned is the acceleration due to gravity. However, does the rotation of the Earth and the subsequent centrifugal force play any role in decreasing the strength of gravitational force? I naturally think that it would but what I've learned doesn't reflect this. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. This is why the Earth is not a perfect sphere (modulo local variations such as mountain ranges).

Orodruin said:
Yes. This is why the Earth is not a perfect sphere (modulo local variations such as mountain ranges).
Thanks again @Orodruin ! So then, does the 9.8m/s/s decrease because of the centrifugal force?

This depends on what you refer to. For someone rotating with the Earth, this will be the apparent effect. The measured value of g does differ from location to location (although 9.8 m/s^2 is the best approximation with two significant digits everywhere). When I was in high school, the value we were taught was 9.82 m/s^2, because it is what it is here. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to gravitational force?

Centripetal force and gravitational force are related because gravity is often the force that acts as the centripetal force in a circular motion. This means that gravitational force is responsible for keeping objects in orbit around larger objects, such as planets around the sun.

3. Can centripetal force and gravitational force cancel each other out?

No, centripetal force and gravitational force cannot cancel each other out. Gravitational force is always present and acts as the centripetal force in circular motion. If the gravitational force were to disappear, the object would stop moving in a circular path.

4. How does the strength of gravitational force affect centripetal force?

The strength of gravitational force directly affects the strength of centripetal force. The stronger the gravitational force, the stronger the centripetal force needs to be in order to keep the object in a circular path.

5. Can an object have centripetal force without gravitational force?

No, an object cannot have centripetal force without gravitational force. As mentioned before, gravity is often the force that acts as the centripetal force in circular motion. Without gravitational force, there would be no force pulling the object towards the center of the circle, and it would not be able to maintain its circular motion.