Centripetal Force Problem with Tension on an Unknown Planet

In summary, an experiment was conducted on a "strange" planet to determine the acceleration due to gravity. A 2 meter pendulum was used and data was collected showing that the pendulum made 10 revolutions in 25 seconds while sweeping out a circle of radius R = 0.209 meters. Using the equations F = ma and centripetal acceleration = v^2/R, the velocity was found to be 0.53m/s. However, there are three unknowns (T, m, and g) and it is difficult to solve for g at this point. Sometimes, one of the unknowns may be irrelevant and only the ratio between two of them is important.
Jimmy5764

Homework Statement

An experiment is conducted on a "strange" planet to determine the acceleration due to the force of gravity there. A 2 meter length pendulum is suspended and put into horizontal circular path. Data collected: the pendulum makes 10 revolutions in 25 seconds while sweeping out a circle of radius R=.209 meters.
Find "g" for this planet.

9i6ZRHr.jpg

Homework Equations

F = MA
Centripetal acceleration = V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

V = 10(2πR)/25 = .53m/s
R = .209
X eq: TCos60 = m(V^2)/R
Y eq: TSin60 = mg (no acceleration in the y direction)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So far so good. Can you find g from what you already have?
BTW, the units of V are not m/s^2, but that's a minor point.

kuruman said:
So far so good. Can you find g from what you already have?
BTW, the units of V are not m/s^2, but that's a minor point.
I am having trouble solving this because there are three unknowns T, m, and g. I guess my algebra is rusty, or am I missing something? In other words, should I be able to solve this by system of equations at this point?

Jimmy5764 said:
I am having trouble solving this because there are three unknowns T, m, and g. I guess my algebra is rusty, or am I missing something? In other words, should I be able to solve this by system of equations at this point?
Sometimes it turns out that one of the unknowns is irrelevant. Just work the equations and see if one of them disappears, or the ratio between two of them is all that matters.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object in uniform circular motion.

2. How is tension involved in the centripetal force problem on an unknown planet?

In the context of a centripetal force problem on an unknown planet, tension refers to the force exerted by a string or rope that is attached to an object moving in a circular path. This tension force is responsible for providing the necessary centripetal force to keep the object in its circular motion.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the centripetal force on an unknown planet?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the centripetal force on an unknown planet. However, it does affect the amount of tension required to provide the necessary centripetal force. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the tension force needed to keep it in circular motion.

4. What is the relationship between the radius and speed of an object in a centripetal force problem on an unknown planet?

The radius and speed of an object in a centripetal force problem on an unknown planet are inversely proportional. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula v = √(μr), where v is the speed, μ is the gravitational constant of the planet, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. How can the centripetal force on an unknown planet be calculated?

The centripetal force on an unknown planet can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circular path. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula F = μm/r, where μ is the gravitational constant of the planet and m is the mass of the object.