1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal merry-go-round problem

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A carnival merry-go-round rotates about a vertical axis at a constant rate. A man standing on the edge has a constant speed of 3.43 m/s and a centripetal acceleration of magnitude 1.87 m/s2. How far is the man from the center of the merry-go-round?

2. Relevant equations
    Ac= v^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand I am looking for the radius in the equation, im just not sure about the other aspects of it. I get a radius of 6.29 the way i do it by: (3.43^2/1.87). Not confident though.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks fine to me.

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    alright, so the constant speed of 3.43 m/s can be plugged in as the velocity? and im confused on the wording "centripetal acceleration of magnitude... "

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4
    "...centripetal acceleration of magnitude 1.87 m/s2" means that the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration vector is 1.87.

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Similarly the speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector, so yes you use the speed for v in the equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?