1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Playground/merrygo round problem. Rotational kinematics

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a playground there is a small merry-go-round of radius 1.20 m and mass 220 kg. The radius of gyration is 91.0 cm. A child of mass 44.0 kg runs at a speed of 3.00 m/s tangent to the rim of the merry-go-round when it is at rest and then jumps on. Neglect friction between the bearings and the shaft of the merry-go-round and find the angular speed of the merry-go-round and child.

I have no idea how to go about starting this, so I'm not looking for an answer just perhaps what equation I should be using. thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You need to state what you know and what the results are of your researching the problem. You can't have absolutely no idea if this is part of a course assignment. What equations pertain to the type of motion involved? What type of interaction is occurring?

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    I assume possibly the conservation of angular momentum? and maybe you take the tangential speed of the child and transform it to angular speed?

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

gneill

Okay, start there. Clearly there's a collision taking place (what type, elastic or inelastic?). What information will you need to know to handle a collision problem? (Think of a linear collision problem and what you'd want to know for that scenario. What are the angular motion analogs to those things?)

6. Oct 2, 2016 #5
    so would perhaps the conservation of kinetic energy formula work?
    or actually its the conservation of angular momentum so (moment of inertia)(angular speed) intial = (moment of inertia)(angular speed) final?

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6

gneill

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted