Certification of Sound Level Meter (Not calibration)

In summary, the certification of a sound level meter is a process in which the accuracy and precision of the device is tested and verified by a third-party organization. This certification is important for ensuring that the sound level meter meets industry standards and can provide accurate measurements for noise levels. Unlike calibration, which involves adjusting and fine-tuning the device, certification simply confirms that the device is functioning correctly. This is important for industries such as construction, manufacturing, and environmental monitoring, where accurate measurement of noise levels is crucial for ensuring safety and compliance.
amster
Hi,

I would like to know if anyone knows where can I find people who do certification of Sound Level Meter (Not calibration).

I need to certify my Sound Level Meter to IEC 61672.

Please provide details if you know who can do it.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
Richard

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Bobbywhy,

Thank you for your reply, I wrote to them to see if they can provide such service.

Anyone else have any other contact please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Richard

Great! Thanks for letting us know.

You may wish to consider simply purchasing a new meter. I know this sounds odd, but I've found the calibration expense on lower value test equipment often exceeds the price of a new piece with certs.

- Mike

1. What is the purpose of certifying a sound level meter?

The purpose of certifying a sound level meter is to ensure its accuracy and reliability in measuring sound levels. This certification process involves testing the meter against known standards and making any necessary adjustments to ensure its readings are within an acceptable range.

2. How often should a sound level meter be certified?

The frequency of certification for a sound level meter will depend on the specific regulations and guidelines of the industry or organization using the meter. In general, it is recommended to have the meter certified annually or whenever it has been subject to significant changes or damage.

3. Who is qualified to certify a sound level meter?

Certification of sound level meters should be performed by trained and qualified professionals, such as acoustical engineers or technicians. These individuals have the knowledge and equipment necessary to accurately test and calibrate the meter.

4. What is the difference between certification and calibration of a sound level meter?

Certification and calibration are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Certification refers to the process of testing and verifying the accuracy of the meter, while calibration involves adjusting the meter to meet a specific standard or set of specifications.

5. Are there any regulatory bodies or organizations that oversee the certification of sound level meters?

Yes, there are several organizations and regulatory bodies that provide guidelines and standards for the certification of sound level meters. These include the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), among others.