Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cfd & fluent (k-e turb.model and mesh)

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    Hi. I want to make a mesh for a airfoil for i solute it with FLUENT.
    I must use the k-e turbulent model but i do not know how i make the mesh near the wall of airfoil. I have read that the Y plus of first cell must be within 30-300 for standard wall function.
    However, How can i compute the Y length of cells for i make the mesh arround the foil?
    Is there a specific prosses for the constraction of mesh?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

minger

Science Advisor

Do a search for "Sheared Parabolic Grid Generation". This is a common analytic grid generation technique. In fact...I think I've posted the method on here some while back.

The idea is that you create a cartesian grid, then "wrap" it around the airfoil using complex transforms. This will give you the best possible grid for solving an airfoil.

Might I also suggest using a "Joukowski" Airfoil to test with. This is an analytically generated airfoil shape (once again using complex transforms). Because it's an analytic shape, analytic solutions exist that you can validate against.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?