Cfd - familiar with ANSYS Fluent or CFX?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on creating a simulation of subsonic flow over an airfoil using ANSYS Fluent or CFX. They have completed a tutorial and attempted to simulate different airfoils, but have not been able to achieve accurate results. They are specifically looking for help with the far-field condition, mesh refinement, and choice of turbulence model.
DinjiP
Cfd -- familiar with ANSYS Fluent or CFX?

Is anyone here familiar with ANSYS Fluent or CFX? I have some questions about creating a simulation of subsonic flow over an airfoil. I have done the Cornell University tutorial. I then moved on to try simulating different arifoils, in particular S809, but I haven't been able to get results within a reasonable margin of the physical experiments.

So if there is some where who understands the two modules I named, I would love to go into more detail on what I have done and seek advice on how to improve my process.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the angle of attack is small and you are in the low mach regime you should get results pretty close to the experimental measurements. One problem is usually that the far-field condition is too close to the airfoil and another is that the mesh is not fine enough. For a 2D airfoil you'll probably only need a couple of million cells but it's important to make them fine enough near the airfoil and larger radially outward up to say 25 cord-lengths away from the airfoil. Also, the choice of turbulence model is important.

2 million cells for a 2D aerofoil in subsonic flow?

1. What is CFD and how is it related to ANSYS Fluent or CFX?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics, which is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems related to fluid flow. ANSYS Fluent and CFX are both software tools used for CFD simulations and analysis.

2. What types of problems can be solved using ANSYS Fluent or CFX?

Both ANSYS Fluent and CFX are versatile software tools that can be used to solve a wide range of fluid flow problems, including laminar and turbulent flows, compressible and incompressible flows, heat transfer, and multiphase flows.

3. Is ANSYS Fluent or CFX difficult to use for beginners?

As with any software, there is a learning curve for using ANSYS Fluent or CFX. However, both tools have user-friendly interfaces and offer extensive documentation and tutorials to help beginners get started. With practice and familiarity, users can become proficient in using these tools.

4. Can ANSYS Fluent or CFX handle complex geometries?

Yes, both ANSYS Fluent and CFX have robust meshing capabilities and can handle complex geometries. They also offer various meshing methods to ensure accurate and efficient simulations for different types of geometries.

5. What are the advantages of using ANSYS Fluent or CFX for CFD simulations?

There are several advantages of using ANSYS Fluent or CFX for CFD simulations, including their high accuracy and reliability, wide range of physics models, robust meshing and post-processing capabilities, and user-friendly interface. They are also widely used in various industries and have a large community of users for support and knowledge sharing.