CH3NH2 in the Bronsted-Lowry Theory

• Thread starter SMc21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the student is trying to understand why the methylamine can't be considered an acid, and they are getting help from the website.
SMc21
We just got a worksheet about acids and bases today. One of the questions said:

"Using the Bronsted-Lowry theory of acids and bases, write equations for the following acid-base reactions and indicate each conjugate acid-base pair."

One such reaction was CH3NH2 + H2O

I checked a ton of websites, and nearly every answer I can find says that CH3NH2 is a base, and the products of this reaction are OH- + CH3NH3+.

However, my teacher seeemd to think that CH3NH2 was an acid, because if it was a Bronsted base and another H+ was added to it, it wouldn't make sense, since NH3 is a stable compound itself and wouldn't be part of a larger compound.

I know that CH3NH2 should be a base, but I also see my teacher's point about it being an acid. How can this compound accept another hydrogen? It'd also help if I could see a Lewis dot structure of CH3NH3+.

Physics news on Phys.org
The amine group (the -NH2) can accept a hydrogen ion. Yes, the methylamine is a base. The PROTONATED form of it can be considered an acid; this would be CH3NH3+1.

SMc21 said:
However, my teacher seeemd to think that CH3NH2 was an acid, because if it was a Bronsted base and another H+ was added to it, it wouldn't make sense, since NH3 is a stable compound itself and wouldn't be part of a larger compound.

NH3 as a separate entity is different from the same group of atoms in CH3NH3+. Comparing them make about as much sense as stating H2O can't exist, because H2 is a stable compound.

symbolipoint said:
The amine group (the -NH2) can accept a hydrogen ion. Yes, the methylamine is a base. The PROTONATED form of it can be considered an acid; this would be CH3NH3+1.

But couldn't one of the groups in the methylamine also "give up" an H+? Why wouldn't they be able to?

I understand how it can be a base now, but I still don't understand why it can't be an acid.

Technically speaking it is possible, and in well designed experiments, in anhydrous solutions, you should be able to see CH3NH-. However, CH3NH- is a very strong base, so in water it will immediately react with solvent, yielding CH3NH2 and OH-

Ah, so basically, any possibility for CH3NH2 to behave as an acid is canceled out because the resulting compound would almost instantly "re-react"?

Yes.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help!

What is CH3NH2 in the Bronsted-Lowry Theory?

CH3NH2, also known as methylamine, is a weak base in the Bronsted-Lowry Theory. It can act as a proton acceptor, forming a conjugate acid, CH3NH3+, in solution.

How does CH3NH2 behave in water according to the Bronsted-Lowry Theory?

In water, CH3NH2 will react with water molecules to form CH3NH3+ and hydroxide ions (OH-). This is because CH3NH2 can accept a proton from a water molecule, making it a base.

What is the conjugate acid of CH3NH2?

The conjugate acid of CH3NH2 is CH3NH3+, also known as methylammonium. It is formed when CH3NH2 accepts a proton from a water molecule.

Is CH3NH2 a strong or weak base in the Bronsted-Lowry Theory?

CH3NH2 is a weak base in the Bronsted-Lowry Theory. This means that it can only partially accept protons from water molecules, and its conjugate acid is not very stable in solution.

Can CH3NH2 act as an acid in the Bronsted-Lowry Theory?

Yes, in certain reactions, CH3NH2 can act as an acid by donating a proton to a stronger base. This will form its conjugate base, CH3NH-, in solution.