How Does Hydrogen Act as a Proton Donor in Bronsted-Lowry Theory?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MichaelXY
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proton Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
MichaelXY
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory

Homework Statement



Bronsted Lowry Proton Theory
Acid is a proton H+ donor

Homework Equations



In my book. HCL + HOH ----> HOH + Cl My book says the HCL donates a proton.

The Attempt at a Solution


What I really do not get about this is that Hydrogen atom only has one proton, based on the periodic chart. If hydrogen gives up one proton, then it would seem that the atom would be only a Neutron and not be an atom at all. Ugh, I just don't get it. Am I seeing this all wrong? Is the Hydrogen in fact losing its only proton?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way I see it,the whole acid molecule is proton donor i.e. H+ donor, so HCl splits up as H+ and Cl-, donates the H+, and hence acts as an acid. So I don't understand what you mean by saying that hydrogen donates a proton.
 
The hydrogen does not donate a proton; the HCl (hydrochloric acid) donates a proton. The hydrogen ion IS the proton.
 
Oh I see, the hydrogen is the proton because it has no electron. Ok thanks for the help:)