1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge I: Concavity, solved by Millenial

1. Aug 8, 2013 #1
    Written by micromass:

I have recently posted a challenge in my signature. The challenge read as follows:

The first answer I got was from Millenial. He gave the following correct solution:

This solution is very elegant. But there are other solutions. For example, we can prove the following chain of implications:

• ##f^{\prime\prime}(x)\leq 0## for all ##x\in \mathbb{R}##.
    • ##f^\prime## is decreasing.
    • ##\frac{f(x)}{x}## is decreasing.
    • For each ##t\in [0,1]## and for all ##x## holds that ##tf(x)\leq f(tx)##.
    • For each ##x## and ##y## holds that ##f(x+y)\leq f(x) + f(y)##.

The proof is as follows:
    Yet another proof consists of proving that ##f## is a concave function. This means that for each ##x## and ##y## and ##t\in [0,1]## that
    [tex]f(tx + (1-t)y) \geq tf(x) + (1-t)f(y)[/tex]
    Visually, it means that

[Broken]

So, the straight line between two points is always below the actual function.

Here is the proof that any function such that ##f^{\prime\prime}<0## is concave:

Now, we can immediately prove again that ##tf(x)\leq f(tx)## for each ##x## and ##t\in [0,1]##. Indeed, apply concavity with ##y=0## (and remember that ##f(0) = 0##, then
    [tex]tf(x) = tf(x) + (1-t)f(0) \leq f(tx + (1-t)y)\leq f(tx)[/tex]
    We can then, as before, prove ##f(x+y)\leq f(x) + f(y)##.

Many congratulations to Millenial for solving the problem!!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted