1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenging question on impulse (or momentum)

1. Apr 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pancake collapse of a tall building. In the section of a tall building shown in Figure (a), the infrastructure of any given floor K must support the weight W of all higher floors. Normally the infrastructure is constructed with a safety factor s so that it can withstand an even greater downward force of sW. If, however, the support columns between K and L suddenly collapse and allow the higher floors to free-fall together onto floor K (Figure (b)), the force in the collision can exceed sW and, after a brief pause, cause K to collapse onto floor J , which collapses on floor I , and so on until the ground is reached. Assume that the floors are separated by d = 4.0 m and have the same mass. Also assume that when the floors above K free-fall onto K , the collision lasts 1.7 ms. Under these simplified conditions, what value must the safety factor s exceed to prevent pancake collapse of the building?
    q84.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure which laws of physics this question is involved, but I assume it's on conservation of linear momentum. So for complete inelastic collision,
    m1*v1i=(m1+m2)vf
    Please let me know if theres anything else I should consider

OR the things above could be not relevant at all. The impulse of the falling floors is
    J=Favg*∂t --> Favg=J/∂t

3. The attempt at a solution
    So if i shall consider the impulse of the falling object, then i have the following
    W*s=J/∂t for when the building does not fall
    J is simply change in momentum, that is Delta(P)=Pf-Pi=m*vf-m*vi=m*vf
    Now 0.5g*t^2=d , g*t=vf
    then t=0.9035... and vf=8.8543...m/s
    also m=W/9.8
    so i got W*s=m*vf/∂t=((W/9.8)*8.8543)/0.00137=659.4948
    apparently this is not the correct answer

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Is it 1.7ms or 1.37ms?

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3
    Soz.. It's 1.7ms.

5. Apr 1, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So what answer does that give you?

6. Apr 1, 2016 #5
    OMG im diggin a hole for myself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted