1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(CHALLENGING )Trigonometry / geometry proof

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    (CHALLENGING!!)Trigonometry / geometry proof

Hey guys I've spent a couple hours on this without even coming close. I'm hoping someone here can drop me a hint.

From the above image I need to proof that GL is R(THETA) in length.
    The only other information I have is that GT extended is a type of sheet (metal sheet) balancing and "rocking" forward and backward on the circular structure of radius R (cylinder).

Hints or help or links would be of HUGE assistance.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: (CHALLENGING!!)Trigonometry / geometry proof

Is there anything to prove?
    If you have a circle of radius R, then a circular segment with angle theta has length R theta.
    That's about the definition of radians (a unit circle goes around 2pi radians, and has circumference 2pi).

If you let G' be the marked point on the cylinder below G (near which the label for c is written), then G'T along the circle has length R theta. Since G is a point on the circle with center T which also goes through G' (as indicated by the circular arc), GT is also R theta.

4. Mar 3, 2010 #3
    Re: (CHALLENGING!!)Trigonometry / geometry proof

Thanks that makes sense. Anyone else have a proof for what was stated above?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?