Change all colors in an image except black

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for changing the background color of an image without affecting the black text contained within it. The options mentioned include setting the background to be transparent, using Imagemagick command-line tools, and utilizing a "magic wand" feature in certain programs. The possibility of writing a program to manually convert pixels is also mentioned.
Hercuflea
Hello,

I have a typesetting software which can export typeset math as normal, nice looking black LaTeX text. However it always puts it on a white background. How can I change the background color of an image (png or jpeg) without changing the black text contained int he image? Should I write a script that can do this or is there already a tool to do so? I want the background of the picture to match the background of my poster.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's possible to set the background of a jpeg to be transparent. I don't know what the capabilities of your software is though.

Likes jedishrfu
I was thinking of writing a program to cycle through each pixel and convert it to the color I want, skipping the black pixels, but I don't know if that is overkill or if there is some other easy way to do it.

Edit: cool...I will check that out

1. How do I change the colors in an image except for black?

To change the colors in an image except for black, you will need to use a photo editing software or program that has a "selective color" or "color replacement" tool. This tool will allow you to choose which colors you want to change while leaving others untouched. You can then select all colors except black and adjust them to your desired color.

2. Can I change all colors except black in any image?

Yes, you can change all colors except black in any image as long as the photo editing software or program you are using has the necessary tools to do so. Some images may be more difficult to edit due to the complexity of colors and details, but it is possible to change all colors except black in any image.

3. Is it possible to change colors in an image except black without affecting the black areas?

Yes, it is possible to change colors in an image except black without affecting the black areas. As mentioned before, using a "selective color" or "color replacement" tool will allow you to choose which colors you want to change. By selecting all colors except black, you can make changes without affecting the black areas.

4. How can I make specific colors stand out in an image that has been changed to all black and white except for one color?

To make specific colors stand out in an image that has been changed to all black and white except for one color, you can use a "hue/saturation" or "color balance" adjustment tool. This will allow you to manipulate the saturation and hues of specific colors, making them stand out against the black and white background.

5. Can I change colors in an image except black to make it look like a black and white photo with one color highlighted?

Yes, you can change colors in an image except black to make it look like a black and white photo with one color highlighted. By using the techniques mentioned above, you can selectively change colors in an image to create a black and white effect with one color standing out. This can be a great way to add a creative touch to your photos.