Change in acceleration due to gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of an object falling to Earth from very far away and how to describe it with respect to time. The equation for gravitational field strength is given as g = G*m/r², where G is a constant and m is a constant for a given body. This equation shows how the acceleration changes when the object is moving. The conversation also suggests using numerical methods or studying energy conservation to understand the motion of the object in more detail.
shill
I'm a grade 11 student (I haven't formally learned calculus yet, but I've been dabbling with online tutorials) with a question (not for homework, just something I've been thinking about). For relatively small distances from Earth, we can estimate that the acceleration of a falling object will be constant (9.8 m/s²). However, that is obviously not the case once you start getting farther away. How can we describe the motion of an object falling to Earth from very far away? Does it have a constant jerk (change in acceleration), or does that also change?

This is related to a question I read on this forum (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=99555).

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for gravitational field stregth? (AKA acceleration due to gravity)

Hootenanny said:
What is the equation for gravitational field stregth? (AKA acceleration due to gravity)
D'oh!
g = G*m/r²
where G is a constant, and m is a constant for a given body (at least in classical physics). So acceleration is proportional to 1/r².

But wait... that still doesn't describe the object's motion with respect to time. If I have an object, (for example, with a mass of 1 kg, and a distance of 600 km), how can I figure out what the acceleration will be a second from then if I know the initial acceleration?

shill,
Your are right:

that still doesn't describe the object's motion with respect to time

But, g = Gm/r² does well tell you how the acceleration changes when the obect is moving. When the object is moving, its distance changes and this law tell you what will be this gravity anywhere (this is what is called a field: how much everywhere).

I you dont' want to deal with calculus (not yet), you can try to do it numerically. You can try that with paper and pencil, but with a computer it will be even funnier. However, to be honest the 3-dimensional problem (actually 2D) will be rather demanding: you will have to deal with the 3(2) coordinates. You could restrict the problem to a vertical motion as a first step, specially if you are doing such things for the first time. There will be a lot to discover already, physically, mathematically and computationally.

Try for example to calculate the free fall of an object from an altitude of 63000 km (10 Earth radius). For more fun, pretend the object can go through the Earth without any friction.
(how would you guess the gravity varies when the onject is 'inside' the earth)

If you want some non-numerical step, you can also study the energy-conservation in this problem. This will tell you the velocity of the object, not as a function of time, but as a function of the position it will reach. That's already something. From the velocity you can calculate the position at any time, by calculus, or numerically.

have fun

Last edited:

What is change in acceleration due to gravity?

Change in acceleration due to gravity refers to the difference in the force of gravity between two points. This can be caused by a change in distance, mass, or the presence of other objects.

How is change in acceleration due to gravity calculated?

Change in acceleration due to gravity is calculated using the formula Δg = (G x M)/d², where Δg is the change in acceleration, G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and d is the distance between the two objects.

What factors can affect change in acceleration due to gravity?

Change in acceleration due to gravity can be affected by the mass of the objects involved, their distance from each other, and the presence of other objects with gravitational pull.

How does change in acceleration due to gravity impact objects?

Change in acceleration due to gravity can cause objects to accelerate or decelerate when they are moving towards or away from a gravitational source. It can also affect the weight and trajectory of objects in motion.

Why is understanding change in acceleration due to gravity important in physics?

Understanding change in acceleration due to gravity is important in physics because it helps explain the movement and behavior of objects in our universe. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as mechanics, astrophysics, and space travel.