1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in EMF due to falling magnet

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My problem is trying to understand this graph and explain why it changes the way it does
    upload_2017-1-12_19-15-40.png
    2. Relevant equations

e=change in ∅/change in time

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that the magnetic field increases/decreases when the magnet is on the way into the coil and when it is on the way out/through. I also know that the velocity on the way out is bigger and that's why the red part is narrower and it reaches a bigger EMF. One thing I don't understand is what happens between the entry and exit? The magnet is accelerating downward because of gravity. Does that mean that the magnetic field is changing? The magnetic field is dependent on the velocity, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At the location of the coil, the magnetic field due to the magnet is changing.

At the location of the coil, the magnetic field due to the magnet depends only on the location of the magnet, not the velocity of the magnet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted