Can Quantum Mechanics accurately explain all atomic transitions?

In summary, the energy equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between energy, work, and heat. It is used in various fields of science and helps in understanding energy transfer and conversion. There are several factors that can cause a change in energy in a system, and the energy equation is based on the conservation of energy principle. It can be applied to all closed systems where the total energy remains constant.
MonsieurWise
I'm doing an experiment on Bohr's theory. I used the Rydberg formula to calculate the line in Helium. However, there are some other lines that the Rydberg formula failed to explain. Some of the transitions involve other quantum numbers as well... I've heard that the new Quantum Mechanics have a way to calculate it very precisely, but I can't find the guide on the internet...Could someone help me...? Thank you very much ^^

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a textbook on atomic physics.

I am always excited to hear about experiments being conducted on fundamental theories such as Bohr's theory. The Rydberg formula is a powerful tool for predicting atomic transitions in the hydrogen atom, but it is important to note that it is limited to the hydrogen atom and cannot accurately explain all atomic transitions in other elements.

This is where the field of Quantum Mechanics comes in. It is a more comprehensive theory that can accurately explain atomic transitions in all elements, including helium. It takes into account not just the energy levels of the electrons, but also their wave-like behavior and interactions with other particles.

I understand your frustration in not being able to find a guide on the internet for calculating these transitions using Quantum Mechanics. It is a complex and advanced theory, but there are many resources available, including textbooks and scientific journals, that can help guide your research.

In the meantime, I would suggest consulting with other scientists or reaching out to a physics department at a university for assistance. With the right resources and guidance, I am confident that you will be able to accurately explain the other lines in helium using Quantum Mechanics. Keep up the good work and good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the energy equation?

The energy equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between energy, work, and heat. It states that the change in energy of a system is equal to the work done on the system plus the heat added to the system.

2. How is the energy equation used in science?

The energy equation is used in various fields of science, such as thermodynamics, physics, and chemistry. It helps in understanding the transfer and conversion of energy in different systems and processes.

3. What factors can cause a change in energy in a system?

There are several factors that can cause a change in energy in a system, including work done on the system, heat transfer, and changes in potential and kinetic energy. Other factors such as friction, pressure, and temperature can also affect the energy of a system.

4. How does the energy equation relate to the conservation of energy principle?

The energy equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The energy equation shows the balance of energy in a system, ensuring that the total amount of energy remains constant.

5. Can the energy equation be applied to all systems?

Yes, the energy equation can be applied to all systems, as long as the system is closed and there are no external sources of energy. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant, and any changes in energy can be accounted for by the work done on the system or the heat added to the system.