Change in thermal energy and Temperature problem

In summary, the problem involves calculating the change in internal energy and final temperature when a diatomic gas is compressed adiabatically. The equation used for this process is W=NkTln(Vi/Vf), and the assumption that Δu=w is made. The resulting calculations yield a change in internal energy of 267.175 J and a final temperature of 308.505K. The equation du=(f/2)NkdT can be used to find the change in thermal energy during the process.
laser123

Homework Statement

Compute the change in internal energy, ΔU, and the final temperature, Tf, when 1 mole of an ideal, diatomic gas is compressed adiabatically to 89.700% of its initial volume. The starting point is 22.500°C and 16.100 L. (Assume that the vibrational degree of freedom stays inactive during the process.)

Homework Equations

eq. 1. W=NkTln(Vi/Vf)

eq. 2. Δu=Q+W

eq. 3. u=(f/2)NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay since it's adiabatic I made the assumption Δu=w. So i used the abouve equation and solved for w=(6.02)(1.381)ln(16.1/14.447)=267.175 J

So i manipulate eq 3 and get u=(f/2)Nk(Tf-Ti) and (2u)/fNk+Ti=Tf=12.8548+295.65=308.505K. This the computer says is wrong?

Because when i find the change in Temp i plan on using du=(f/2)NkdT for the change in thermal energy

Physics news on Phys.org
laser123 said:
eq. 1. W=NkTln(Vi/Vf)
Does this equation hold for an adiabatic process?

when i find the change in Temp i plan on using du=(f/2)NkdT for the change in thermal energy

Sounds good.

What is the difference between thermal energy and temperature?

Thermal energy refers to the total amount of kinetic and potential energy of all particles in a given substance. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

How are thermal energy and temperature related?

The thermal energy of a substance is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the thermal energy and vice versa.

What factors can cause a change in thermal energy?

Several factors can cause a change in thermal energy, including the amount of matter, the type of matter, and the temperature difference between two substances.

What is the equation for calculating change in thermal energy?

The equation for calculating change in thermal energy is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the change in thermal energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How does heat transfer affect change in thermal energy and temperature?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in causing a change in thermal energy and temperature. It can occur through three different mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. These mechanisms transfer heat from a warmer substance to a cooler substance, resulting in a change in thermal energy and temperature.