Problem Relating Temperature and Thermal Energy

In summary, an ideal gas at 40°C undergoes a 35% reduction in thermal energy, resulting in a new temperature of -70°C. This is because thermal energy is directly proportional to temperature in an ideal gas.
chinnie15

Homework Statement

An ideal gas is at 40°C. The gas is cooled, reducing the thermal energy by 35%. What is the new temperature in °C?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure there is one?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since, in an ideal gas, thermal energy is proportional to temperature, I multiplied 40°C by .35 and got a change of 14°C. After subtracting, I get a resulting temperature of 26°C. But, the online program is telling me this is incorrect? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thermal energy of the ideal gas is proportional to the absolute temperature.

ehild

Ohh, ok. I got it now, thanks! :) The answer is -70C.

What is the difference between temperature and thermal energy?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while thermal energy is the total kinetic energy of all the particles in a substance. In other words, temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat, while thermal energy is a measure of the quantity of heat.

How are temperature and thermal energy related?

Temperature and thermal energy are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the temperature of a substance increases, so does its thermal energy. However, the relationship is not linear and can vary depending on the specific properties of the substance.

Why does temperature affect thermal energy?

The temperature of a substance affects its thermal energy because as the temperature increases, the particles in the substance gain more kinetic energy and move faster. This results in an increase in the total thermal energy of the substance.

Can thermal energy exist without temperature?

No, thermal energy cannot exist without temperature. Temperature is a necessary component for determining the amount of thermal energy in a substance. Without temperature, there is no way to measure the average kinetic energy of the particles and therefore no way to calculate the thermal energy.

How does the transfer of thermal energy affect temperature?

The transfer of thermal energy can cause a change in temperature. When thermal energy is transferred from a warmer object to a cooler object, the cooler object's temperature will increase as it gains thermal energy. Conversely, when thermal energy is transferred from a cooler object to a warmer object, the warmer object's temperature will decrease as it loses thermal energy.