Brian_C said:
If the flow is incompressible and one-dimensional, you can use the 1-D mass flow rate equation and cancel out the density.
Not really. He wants at distances past the nozzle.
if it is not too much to ask can you help me understand the equation? i am completely lost just from watching it..
Sure, actually, I'm sorry that's actually incorrectly a plane jet; you really want an axisymmetric jet (I actually think I put a wrong equation in there).
OK, basically you can get the velocity at the nozzle area by simply using the definition of volumetric flow rate
[tex]
Q = VA[/tex]
So
[tex]
V = \frac{Q}{A}[/tex]
So, let's denote the velocity at that section [tex]V_{max}[/tex] and the axial distance as 0.
From there, it can be shown that velocity drops off as [tex]x^{-1}[/tex] If you would like the derivation, I can post it, although it involves a similarity solution which may be a little over your head.
Note that there are a lot of constraints in there, and if you are off-axis or anything like that, then the equations don't work; you'll need the entire thing.
What is your application here?