EDF Rocket with Thrust Tube: Physics Explained

In summary: Sorry about that.In summary, an EDF is a type of electric ducted fan that produces more thrust than a propellor due to the higher pressure.
Johan M
TL;DR Summary
My goal is to understand why EDF thrust increases when the outlet area of a thrust tube increases for static thrust. The formula I've seen for static thrust depends on outlet velocity and mass flowrate; mass flowrate is constant, and increased outlet area would decrease velocity wrt bernoulli, so I am uncertain why some RC forums say other wise
Hi everyone. I am tasked with making an EDF rocket for a university project. The end of the rocket has a set of flaps that redirect air to control the rockets trajectory, seen in the image. The 90mm EDF itself is located near region 1.
Thrust tube.jpg
. I would like to know why, the physics behind it, a smaller outlet area of a thrust tube results in a higher thrust. I have posted this question on a separate RC forum :https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3931737-EDF-Thrust-tube-theory#post47447981 but I still felt uncertainty. One of the members stated: "Remember an exhaust nozzle increases the back pressure so the fan has to do more work. The energy going into the fan is unchanged so as the pressure rises the mass flow reduces''. I can see why the back pressure would increase through bernoulli, but I don't understand why the mass flow rate reduces; the smaller area and larger velocity work out to the same flowrate, also seen below:
mass flowrate.JPG

From the same textbook of the above picture, the thrust formula below was found:
Ducted fan thrust.JPG

It seemed to solely depend on exit velocity (For static thrust I've seen V0 can be taken as zero). I would appreciate any advice in this regard, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A fan won't produce the same mass flowrate at a higher outlet pressure.

Dullard said:
A fan won't produce the same mass flowrate at a higher outlet pressure.
Hi Dullard thanks for the response. Can you please elaborate why it is such?

I'm probably under-qualified to elaborate. That's the way that fans work.

Some of the confusion may be the result of the fact that you're talking about a ducted fan (compressible fluid), but are using a textbook citation for a propellor (incompressible fluid).

Dullard said:
I'm probably under-qualified to elaborate. That's the way that fans work.

Some of the confusion may be the result of the fact that you're talking about a ducted fan (compressible fluid), but are using a textbook citation for a propellor (incompressible fluid).
No worries. I will do some research on it. I think of confused the terms in addition; I had thought a ducted fan and ducted propeller are the same

I understand that EDF is just another TLA, but what does EDF actually stand for ?

Likes Johan M
Baluncore said:
I understand that EDF is just another TLA, but what does EDF actually stand for ?
I am not sure what TLA refers to, but an EDF is an electric ducted fan

Likes Baluncore
Johan M said:
I am not sure what TLA refers to, but an EDF is an electric ducted fan
A TLA is a Three Letter Acronym, which is actually an initialism.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and Johan M
Baluncore said:
A TLA is a Three Letter Acronym, which is actually an initialism.
Ah I see, not my finest moment I admit

1. What is an EDF rocket with thrust tube?

An EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) rocket with thrust tube is a type of model rocket that uses an electric motor to power a fan inside a tube, which then produces thrust to propel the rocket forward. The thrust tube helps to focus and direct the airflow, increasing the efficiency of the rocket's propulsion.

2. How does an EDF rocket with thrust tube work?

The electric motor inside the rocket spins the fan, which draws in air through the front of the rocket. The air then passes through the tube and is expelled out the back, creating thrust. The thrust tube helps to streamline the airflow and increase the velocity of the exhaust, resulting in a more powerful thrust.

3. What are the benefits of using an EDF rocket with thrust tube?

EDF rockets with thrust tubes are generally more efficient and powerful than traditional model rockets. They also tend to be quieter and produce less smoke, making them more environmentally friendly. Additionally, the thrust tube can be designed to provide specific amounts of thrust, allowing for more control and precision in flight.

4. How does the physics behind an EDF rocket with thrust tube work?

The thrust produced by the rocket is a result of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The fan inside the rocket creates a force by pushing air out the back of the rocket, and the rocket experiences an equal and opposite force in the opposite direction, propelling it forward.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using an EDF rocket with thrust tube?

As with any model rocket, safety precautions should always be taken when launching an EDF rocket with thrust tube. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and launch the rocket in a clear and open area. Additionally, the electric motor and fan can generate heat, so proper insulation and cooling measures should be taken to prevent any potential hazards.