Measuring high velocity airflow

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods to measure the velocity of air flow coming out of a fan and nozzle. It mentions the use of anemometers, hot-wire anemometers, and DIY pito-static tubes. The participants also suggest using online calculators and equations to measure wind force.
T C
I have a fan that consumes 60 W and blade diameter is 12 inch. If it's just 60% efficient, then the velocity of air coming out of it is around 9.5 m/s. I also have a nozzle inlet of which fits the fan and the diameter at the throat cum exit is 3.5 inch. I want to know how to measure the velocity of the flow coming out of the nozzle as market available anemometers can't measure velocity more than 40 m/s.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can bend some tubing and make yourself a pito-static tube.

However, I did almost exactly this experiment as a kid. Have you actually tried a commercial anemometer yet? I think you will find you achieve a much lower velocity than you expect.

[edit]
Btw, I'm getting 32 m/s. How did you calculate 9.5 m/s?

Last edited:
Are you sure? 60 seconds of search found this on Amazon for $40. It says 0-40 m/s range.

1618489158012.png

anorlunda said:
Are you sure? 60 seconds of search found this on Amazon for $40. It says 0-40 m/s range.

View attachment 281565
He's asking for higher than 40m/s.

OK, here's one that claims 100 mph (44.7 m/s)
1618495090390.png

This one claims 50 m/s
1618495145026.png

Here's one using a hot wire, claims up to 68 m/s
1618496394967.png

Searches for airspeed sensors in aviation sources should easily find more products with ranges higher than 40 m/s.

Likes russ_watters
anorlunda said:
Searches for airspeed sensors in aviation sources should easily find more products with ranges higher than 40 m/s.
The alternative to an anemometer I suggested above is a DIY pito-static tube, but for a commercial version of it, you can buy a pito-static tube and digital manometer. I have these:
https://www.grainger.com/product/3T...B7B3hGjN16pzGI4HwXwaAvwuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.grainger.com/product/EX...YRgWJgI5r4n6ghsHozMaAsDYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The one I have will give me a range of up to 75 m/s, but you can buy a manometer with a wider pressure range and measure up to perhaps a 100 before compressibility starts to be a factor.

russ_watters said:
Btw, I'm getting 32 m/s. How did you calculate 9.5 m/s?
How? 12 inch diameter means 6 inch radius and that means 15.24 cm i.e. 0.1524 m. Therefore area is 3.14 X (0.1524)^2. 65% of 60 W is 39 W. Now, it's (39/(0.5 X 1.2474 X 3.14 X (0.1524)^2)^(1/3). Calculate it yourself.

T C said:
How? 12 inch diameter means 6 inch radius and that means 15.24 cm i.e. 0.1524 m. Therefore area is 3.14 X (0.1524)^2. 65% of 60 W is 39 W. Now, it's (39/(0.5 X 1.2474 X 3.14 X (0.1524)^2)^(1/3). Calculate it yourself.
Don't be so aggressive, I'm trying to help. Of course I calculated it myself. But yep, you're right, I did a conversion wrong. 9.5 m/s is correct.

anorlunda said:
Here's one using a hot wire, claims up to 68 m/s
View attachment 281575

I've used hot-wire anemometers to measure air flows upwards of 900 m/s before. Mind you, it was technically a COTS system but not one that is particularly cheap.

russ_watters said:
The alternative to an anemometer I suggested above is a DIY pito-static tube, but for a commercial version of it, you can buy a pito-static tube and digital manometer. I have these:
https://www.grainger.com/product/3T...B7B3hGjN16pzGI4HwXwaAvwuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.grainger.com/product/EX...YRgWJgI5r4n6ghsHozMaAsDYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The one I have will give me a range of up to 75 m/s, but you can buy a manometer with a wider pressure range and measure up to perhaps a 100 before compressibility starts to be a factor.

I have used Pitot tubes to measure velocity of upwards of 900 m/s before. It simply requires a different set of equations that account for compressibility. For example, see the Rayleigh Pitot tube formula.

Likes russ_watters
Measure the force of the air hitting a flat surface and use an online wind force calculator.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wind-load-d_1775.html

That one is in metric so if you use a square of cardboard 3 inches on a side the area is 0.0058 Sq. meters. plugging that in, a 40m/s wind would yield a force of 5.57n, or 1.252lbs, or 20oz.

There are probably other websites that use English units and can convert the other direction, but I had to leave SOME of the work to you! :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please let us know the measurement/calculated results you get.

Likes anorlunda
Tom.G said:
Measure the force of the air hitting a flat surface and use an online wind force calculator.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wind-load-d_1775.html

That one is in metric so if you use a square of cardboard 3 inches on a side the area is 0.0058 Sq. meters. plugging that in, a 40m/s wind would yield a force of 5.57n, or 1.252lbs, or 20oz.

There are probably other websites that use English units and can convert the other direction, but I had to leave SOME of the work to you! :wink:

Cheers,
Tom

p.s. Please let us know the measurement/calculated results you get.

That calculator isn't even correct. Who makes these things?

boneh3ad said:
That calculator isn't even correct. Who makes these things?
:cry:

Ouch! Do you know of one that is accurate?

As for who makes them, a WhoIs lookup shows: "Registrant Name: Registration Private"

Tom.G said:
:cry:

Ouch! Do you know of one that is accurate?

As for who makes them, a WhoIs lookup shows: "Registrant Name: Registration Private"

I mean, technically it works under a very specific set of circumstances I suppose.

1. How is high velocity airflow measured?

High velocity airflow is typically measured using an anemometer, which is a device that measures the speed of airflow. There are different types of anemometers, such as hot wire, pitot tube, and vane anemometers, that use different principles to measure airflow.

2. What units are used to measure high velocity airflow?

High velocity airflow is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per minute (ft/min). Other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) may also be used, depending on the specific application.

3. What is considered a high velocity airflow?

The definition of high velocity airflow may vary depending on the context and application. Generally, an airflow with a speed above 10 meters per second (m/s) or 2000 feet per minute (ft/min) can be considered high velocity. However, this may differ for specific industries or research purposes.

4. How accurate are measurements of high velocity airflow?

The accuracy of measurements of high velocity airflow depends on several factors, such as the type of anemometer used, the calibration of the instrument, and the environmental conditions. Generally, modern anemometers have a high level of accuracy, with some models having an error margin of less than 1%.

5. What are some common applications of measuring high velocity airflow?

Measuring high velocity airflow is important in various industries, such as aerospace, HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), and automotive. It is also used in research and development for studying fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. Additionally, measuring high velocity airflow is crucial for safety and efficiency in wind tunnels, wind farms, and other similar environments.