Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of basis theorem?

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    Let B={b1,b2} and C={c1,c2} be basis. Then the change of coordinate matrix P(C to B) involves the C-coordinate vectors of b1 and b2. Let
    [b1]c=[x1] and [b2]c=[y1]
    .........[x2]................[y2].

Then by definition [c1 c2][x1]=b1 and [c1 c2][y1]=b2. I dont get how you can
    ................................. [x2].....................[y2]
    multiply the matrix with basis set C with the change of coordinate matrix P(C to B) to get back basis set B ?
    Can anyone help me understand how the derive the fact that you can take the set C basis and matrix P to get basis b1 and b2? My textbook just says very little about it.

Here is an example of a problem relating to this idea.
    There was a problem that stated find a basis {u1,u2,u3} for R^3 such that P is the change of coordinates matrix from{u1,u2,u3} to the basis {v1,v2,v3}? P was given and v1,v2,v3were given as well. I know how to do it but don't get the how it works?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2
    Ok. Lets work in Two Dimensions because writing math text on this forum is slow for me.

Suppose there is a vector v = <x1,x2>. We are used to the regular cartesian basis vectors
    [itex]{e}_1[/itex] = <1,0> and [itex]{e}_2[/itex] = <0,1> such that

v = [itex]<x1,x2>^{T}[/itex] = x1[itex]{e}_1[/itex] + x2[itex]{e}_2[/itex]

now lets say we want to express v in a new basis like [itex]{f}_1[/itex] = <1,1> and [itex]{f}_2[/itex] = <1,2> such that

v = [itex]<y1,y2>^{T}[/itex] = y1[itex]{f}_1[/itex] + y2[itex]{f}_2[/itex]

since v is the same vector regardless of how it is represented, we can equate the two basis expressions

v = v

y1[itex]{f}_1[/itex] + y2[itex]{f}_2[/itex] = x1[itex]{e}_1[/itex] + x2[itex]{e}_2[/itex]

<[itex]{f}_1[/itex],[itex]{f}_2[/itex]>[itex]<y1,y2>^{T}[/itex] = <[itex]{e}_1[/itex],[itex]{e}_2[/itex]>[itex]<x1,x2>^{T}[/itex]

Let <[itex]{f}_1[/itex],[itex]{f}_2[/itex]> = [itex]F[/itex] (2x2 Matrix with f basis as columns)
    Let <[itex]{e}_1[/itex],[itex]{e}_2[/itex]> = [itex]E[/itex] (2x2 Matrix with f basis as columns)

Then

[itex]F[/itex][itex]<y1,y2>^{T}[/itex] = [itex]E[/itex][itex]<x1,x2>^{T}[/itex]

So

[itex]<y1,y2>^{T}[/itex] = [itex]F^{T}[/itex][itex]E[/itex][itex]<x1,x2>^{T}[/itex]

Let [itex]P[/itex] = [itex]F^{T}[/itex][itex]E[/itex]

Then

[itex]<y1,y2>^{T}[/itex] = [itex]P[/itex][itex]<x1,x2>^{T}[/itex]

I hope this shows where the logic is coming from. If it is still not clear, let me know, and I will clarify. I will edit this better when I return home.

4. Dec 19, 2012 #3
    thanks this is what I was looking for. I get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook