Changing capacitance effect on ripple in full rectification circuit

In summary, ##The student is designing a circuit to measure the ripple generated by a diode bridge rectifier. They plan to use an oscilloscope to measure the ripple and to conclude that since different mobile phone chargers have different capacitors within with capacitances, the ones with higher capacitance values will be more qualified. They have a few questions regarding the circuit they are planning to build and are seeking advice from the mentor. The mentor responds that the output ripple is at the switching frequency and depends more on the Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) of the output capacitors. The mentor also advises the student to start their simulation with a fully charged capacitor or change the vertical axis of the graph to see the ripple.
kaiiliana
[Mentor Note -- thread moved to the schoolwork forums]

Hi. So I'm a Physics HL student in IB and I'm designing a circuit for my Physics IA. (think of it as a lab/project if you're not familiar with IB)

I'm required to have an independent variable of 7 dif. values and a dependant variable. For my IA, I'm trying to build a diode bridge full rectification circuit. What I will do is I will connect different capacitors of different capacitance values, and connect the circuit to an oscilloscope to read the ripple values generated. According to formulas I've seen online, my hypothesis is that when I increase the capacitance, the ripple will decrease. By showing the relationship between capacitance and ripple, I plan to conclude that since different mobile phone chargers have different capacitors within with capacitances, the ones with higher capacitance values will be more qualified.

I have a few questions regarding this circuit I'm planning to build. I have the oscilloscope and cables at school so that's fine. I know I need an AC power generator, a transformer, 4 diodes, 7 capacitors and one resistor for the circuit. Though, I'm not sure for what values I should buy these. I'm going to an electronics store tomorrow, but how many ohms should my resistor be, or what interval of capacitances should I buy my capacitors in, how many volts should the ac generator have etc. ? Also I know the basic set up of a diode bridge rectifier circuit, sth like this:

xwp7x05qj6k81.png

Though I'm not sure where I would connect the oscillator. Also, the value that I'll read from the oscillator, is it the ripple voltage or the ripple current, and in that case how do they differ? Like, I know the diff. between voltage and current obv but doesn't the ripple current/voltage give the same thing technically? I had a hard time trying to grasp that. So yeah, I would appreciate if you could answer the questions I had, or any advice regarding this circuit or IA is appreciated. If you advice me on changing something, or are confident about your knowledge in this topic, feel free to dm please. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

kaiiliana said:
By showing the relationship between capacitance and ripple, I plan to conclude that since different mobile phone chargers have different capacitors within with capacitances, the ones with higher capacitance values will be more qualified.
No, that's not how phone chargers work. They use switching power supplies, not bridge rectifiers to generate the 5Vdc output. Their output ripple is at the switching frequency (100kHz-1MHz typically), and depends more on the Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) of the output capacitors.

kaiiliana said:
Though I'm not sure where I would connect the oscillator.
So do you have a signal generator at school that you will use? What is its output resistance (look on its datasheet)? You will need to include that series output resistance in your circuit diagram in order to make it more accurate.

kaiiliana said:
Also, the value that I'll read from the oscillator, is it the ripple voltage or the ripple current, and in that case how do they differ?
To see the ripple in this type of circuit, you will want the RC time constant of that output circuit to be about the same as the frequency of your oscillator.

Likes Klystron, BvU and DaveE
Thank you. My school does not have a signal generator, though I won't be needing that as I'll use the AC power supply and just buy a transformer. Thanks for the correction about the phone.

I tried creating a simulation of the circuit I'm planning to build, though the ripple graph (I mean output voltage - time) only shows the way I want it to when the resistance of the resistor is extremely high for some reason. What would you suggest changing in the circuit to fix that, as I probably won't be able to find such a high resistance resistor.

https://www.multisim.com/content/XY...-of-ac-to-dc-power-supply-unregulated-1/open/

kaiiliana said:
the ripple graph (I mean output voltage - time)
That doesn't look like the ripple graph, but like the 'voltage over the resistor' graph ...

It does try to show you the ripple (i.e. the AC component of the output) , but that ripple is so small you don't see it.

Start your simulation with a fully charged capacitor, or change the vertical axis of the graph you have, and you'll be happy :smile:

##\ ##

1. How does changing capacitance affect the ripple in a full rectification circuit?

Changing the capacitance in a full rectification circuit can affect the amount of ripple present in the output voltage. A larger capacitance will result in a smaller ripple, while a smaller capacitance will result in a larger ripple. This is because the capacitor acts as a filter, smoothing out the output voltage by storing and releasing charge.

2. What is the relationship between capacitance and ripple in a full rectification circuit?

The relationship between capacitance and ripple in a full rectification circuit is inverse. As capacitance increases, ripple decreases and vice versa. This means that by adjusting the capacitance, the amount of ripple in the output voltage can be controlled.

3. How does the frequency of the input voltage affect the capacitance and ripple in a full rectification circuit?

The frequency of the input voltage does not directly affect the capacitance in a full rectification circuit. However, it does affect the amount of ripple present in the output voltage. A higher frequency will result in a smaller ripple, while a lower frequency will result in a larger ripple.

4. What is the purpose of using a capacitor in a full rectification circuit?

The capacitor in a full rectification circuit serves as a filter, smoothing out the output voltage by storing and releasing charge. This helps to reduce the amount of ripple present in the output voltage, resulting in a more stable and consistent output.

5. How can the capacitance in a full rectification circuit be adjusted?

The capacitance in a full rectification circuit can be adjusted by changing the value of the capacitor used. This can be done by either using a different capacitor with a desired capacitance or by adding multiple capacitors in parallel to increase the overall capacitance. Care should be taken to ensure that the capacitor used can handle the voltage and current in the circuit.