1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing position in circular motion

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    Could you help me with question : How does the x and y component of the position change in circular motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Draw a circle at the origin of x and y axes. Then, as you move your pen around the circle, the x and y components of the position of your pen will change.

Your question isn't very precise-- what do you mean by "how"? Are you looking for equations here? Is this a homework question? If so, then state the exact question, and your attempt before we can help you.

4. Jun 20, 2007 #3
    ;) it's my exam's question on monday . It's the exact formulation of these question and I think it's about the relation between x y components and the angle - yes any equation

5. Jun 20, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean "change with time"? Do you mean *uniform* circular motion?

In any case, have you seen the formula [itex] \theta(t) = \theta_i + \omega t [/itex] for circular motion at constant speed? If yes, the answer is simple. If not, I am not sure what they are looking for in terms of an answer. If you fix the time, it's pretty clear how to write x and y at a given time in terms of the angle at that same time [itex] \theta(t) [/itex] and the radius R of teh circle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?