Changing subject of formula help sites

• MHB
  • Thread starter fordy2707
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about finding good learning resources for rearranging formulas, from basic to advanced levels. The person also shares a helpful website for this topic. They also mention struggling with complex questions in math and offer a tip of understanding what a thing does in order to undo it in algebra.
fordy2707
hi all ,does anyone know of good learning resources for rearranging formula ,starting from the basic level all the way to advanced levels ? many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
well I've found this which is good

http://www.maths.com/algebra/change-the-subject-of-a-formula/index.htm

the problem I am having throughout my maths module on any subject is this,i can always do the basic examples so easily ,but come the crunch question time the questions are ridiculously hard and seem to be so complex compared to examples that I lose my focus and can compute them in my head :confused:

Well, math is a lot like distillation-it takes lots and lots of raw material to squeeze out a precious drop of understanding.

There is "trick" to algebra (this applies to more advanced kinds, too)-you have to understand what a thing DOES, so you can UNDO it.

For example, if $y = x + b$, then $x = y - b$, because "subtraction" undoes "addition". Now this is an "easy" example, because most people are so "used" to adding, that it is "natural" to think of subtracting after adding to "go back".

What are some common formula changing techniques?

Some common techniques for changing the subject of a formula include using the distributive property, combining like terms, and isolating the desired variable on one side of the equation.

Why is it important to be able to change the subject of a formula?

Being able to change the subject of a formula allows for more flexibility and versatility in solving equations. It also allows for easier manipulation and understanding of the relationships between different variables in the formula.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to change the subject of a formula?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, not properly distributing terms, and incorrectly isolating the desired variable.

How can I check if my formula is correct after changing the subject?

You can check your formula by plugging in values for the variables and solving the equation. If the solution matches the expected result, then your formula is correct.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for changing the subject of a formula?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used, such as using the inverse operation to isolate the desired variable or rearranging the terms in a specific order to make the process easier. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and steps involved in changing the subject of a formula rather than relying solely on shortcuts.